Joint Discussion Forum: Post due TUESDAY (4-28) 3 PM; reply to two posts by THURSDAY 3 PM

Smith_Reflective Essay #2

Smith_Reflective Essay #2

by Kevin Smith -
Number of replies: 3

In comparing the Prophets literature with the Wisdom literature, I have chosen the books of Amos and Proverbs

The book of Amos as an example of prophetic literature, vividly demonstrates the Lord condemning not only Israel and Judah but all the nations of the region. This prophetic book is particularly focused on the how these nations have treated the poor, and needy (Amos 2:6-8, NRSV).  The condemnation continues throughout pointing out in particular where Israel has come up short. The God of the prophets uses the prophets as their mouthpiece, to intervene and speak judgement (Amos 8:1-2, NRSV –“He said, “Amos, what do you see?” And I said, “A basket of summer fruit.” Then the Lord said to me, “The end has come upon my people Israel...” Unlike some other prophetic books, Amos, doesn’t give if/then proclamations.  According to Amos, the nations have already fallen short and the judgement is being described. God is made out to be the ultimate Judge (through Amos), even taking on a priest of Bethel, Amaziah (Amos 7:10-17, NRSV, “...you yourself shall die in the unclean land, and Israel shall surely go into exile away from its land.”

The wisdom books, like Proverbs, are very different than the prophetic books.  Although there is condemnation, it is done in a very different style.  The wisdom book layout that if you do something wrong you will have a consequence, not a punishment, and that doing something wrong is not coming from God’s law, but from common sense or knowledge, (Proverbs 10:17, NRSV, “Whoever heeds instruction is on the path to life, but one who rejects a rebuke goes astray.” The instruction that is found throughout Proverbs is not directly from God through a mediator like in Amos, but is found in the experience of the writer(s).  We see in the way some of the verses are laid out they are addressing a relation not God to a nation, (Proverbs 2:1, NRSV, “My child, if you accept my words…”. Whereas the words of the Lord in the prophetic books are wide sweeping addressing nations, the wisdom books offer advice and wisdom to the individual reader/hearer. In Proverbs, like some of the other wisdom books, the message of justice is vague, while the prophets strongly convict the nations of their injustice.

In reply to Kevin Smith

Re: Smith_Reflective Essay #2

by Ryan Tobin -

Kevin - Your post highlights an important aspect of the differences between prophetic books and wisdom books: the prophetic books are written on a national scope while the wisdom books are more on a personal level. When you combine that with another distinction you noted -- the prophetic books tend to be more cataclysmic, and the wisdom books are a little more gentle -- that can lead to an understanding of a God who is both wrathful (at the national level) and kind (on the personal level). I think this can have a profound impact on one's understanding of the nature of God. Humans definitely operate in two realms: our personal realm (self, family, friends) and our societal realm (groups, nations, religious denominations), and even though they are related, we usually approach them in different ways. Perhaps these two sets of biblical literature point to a truth that God also operates differently within our realms -- we know God as God relates to us personally, but God perhaps responds differently to people in a group setting. 

In reply to Ryan Tobin

by Julia O'Brien -

Ryan, do all of the prophets limit themselves to God's wrath? What about Second Isaiah? Does Job seem quite so mild?

In reply to Kevin Smith

by Julia O'Brien -

Kevin, your post helpfully brings the issues of social justice into our forum. You are reminding us that the prophets don't just issue judgment but do so *as a way of critique* of people's unethical behavior.

The *style* of these books does support your claim that in the prophets God dictates the punishment while in wisdom (at least in Provs) the consequences seem part of God's created order.

How do you think your thesis would work if you had chosen Ecclesiastes as your example of wisdom literature?