Leadership for Your Future

Sharp_Week 5

Sharp_Week 5

by Deleted user -

In last week’s reading, Roxburgh argued that the “traditional” models of plan/execute will no longer work due to the complexity of today’s environment – there are too many variables and combinations/permutations of how things will evolve to use the “traditional models.”  Roxburgh’s use of the evolution of the Internet was a good example to illustrate his point. 

The observations of Roxburgh and Berry point to a fundamental concept that applies to all of us.  We now live in a culture and time in which change is the norm.  Change is not a discrete event nor does it always happen in a predictable or controllable way.  We also have to change (pun intended) the way we understand and interpret change that doesn’t happen predictably – just because we did not predict something or control something does not mean that it should be evaluated negatively.  In Roxburgh’s example of the growth and development of the Internet – the evolutionary path taken, while not predicted, is, in fact, a better outcome as a result of some of those unpredictable/unforeseen twists and turns taken.  

For me personally, I will need to work on flexibility, developing and honing the ability to adapt to both new and changing events and circumstances. Recognizing that adapting and changing is not viewed negatively but a normal course of leadership behavior.  Skills that will be helpful would be “learning on the fly” – the ability to go into this discontinuous new space and quickly figure out what needs to be done and go with it.  It will also be necessary to adopt “thinking outside the box” as the new norm.  Leading in “new space” will require new and different approaches and being open to consider doing things differently. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Sharp_Week 5

by Elizabeth Shuba -

In addition to your mention of flexibility, I hear your belief in a desire and need to trust in your response.  I hear that you believe it will take attention and work but ultimately, I also hear that it will take trust.  In this ever changing environment  you will need to trust in your gut, trust in those that walk along side you, and to trust in the risks it will take to find your way in this new space.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Sharp_Week 5

by Charlotte Johnson -

Carol flexibility is quickly becoming the norm.  Change is the one thing that remains consistent in our world.  However, we should not become so flexible that we change direction with every breeze that blows by.  There is still something to be said for consistency and stability.  I am mindful of one thing concerning change and that is to change before I have to.