Joint Discussion Forum: Post due TUESDAY (4-28) 3 PM; reply to two posts by THURSDAY 3 PM

Price_Reflective #2

Price_Reflective #2

by Michelle Price -

The prophetic books and the wisdom books are different in many ways. The prophetic books characterize the relationship with God as the need to do as God says and follow God’s will. The wisdom books on the other hand leave people to wrestle with who God is and how God’s will truly works. Both sets of literature can be used as people discover who God is and how God works in various times of life.

The book of Hosea opens with “The word of the Lord that came to Hosea…” (Hos 1:1, NRSV). It shows God talking through one person. There this conversation God shares with Hosea the terrible things that are happening and what Hosea needs to share with the community. God works through Hosea to try to bring the people back in line. God gives Hosea specific tasks that start in Hos 2:1 and Hos 3:1. Hosea is to share the words God shares with him to the people.

In the book of Job, there is a lot of wrestling with how God’s judgement actually works. There is wrestling between people’s theology of God, as seen through Job and his friends. The book doesn’t really answer many questions, but leaves the reader with various things to ponder about who God is and how God works. The readers don’t know what the end outcome is, but are encouraged to keep asking.

The wisdom books encourage people to grow their wisdom in Godly things and ways. They encourage people to ask questions. The prophetic books on the other hand just simply expect people to follow, without asking questions. They show God working through one, or few people, to bring the community in line with God, whereas the wisdom books show various people’s perspective on God for daily living.

In reply to Michelle Price

Re: Price_Reflective #2

by Caroline Bashore -

Michelle - I agree with your last paragraph completely. As I understand these two canons of the Hebrew Bible, I find a very different God in the prophetic books than I find in the wisdom literature. I thought that it was interesting that you said, "both sets of literature can be used as people discover who God is and how God works in various times of life." Because I understand the canons to reveals different sides of God to me I can understand that both works can help us discover different aspects of God. However, I am not able to connect what you mean by the second portion of this statement. I was understanding both situations of the prophetic books and wisdom literature to be similar, both difficult times where there is a great deal of sin. The only difference I have been able to interpret in the situations are that the prophetic books speak more of the nations sin as a whole while the wisdom literature is more individual. I will have to go back and think more on this.

In reply to Caroline Bashore

Re: Price_Reflective #2

by Michelle Price -

I agree they are both talking about sinful times, but I think where I am coming from is that it depends on where a person is as to which one may resonate more with someone. Just in how they are worded I think changes how we see things. If someone is wanting to see God at work per say they would want to watch his work through the prophets. If someone is wanting to work through who God is and has questions or uncertainties, I think some of the wording in the wisdom may suit better. There is more room for questioning and thought where the prophetic books are more "straight forward". If that helps with where I was trying to come from.