Joint Discussion Forum: Post due TUESDAY (4-28) 3 PM; reply to two posts by THURSDAY 3 PM

Kohlhepp_Reflective Essay #2

Kohlhepp_Reflective Essay #2

by Gregg Kohlhepp -

Moving beyond the Deuteronomistic History, the depth of the Old Testament further unfolds with the prophetic books and wisdom literature. These collections take divergent approaches, focusing on different portrayals of God, distinct audiences, and various subject matter. Yet, some commonalities carry through both as the books of prophecy and wisdom look to instill obedience in believers and promote justice for all creation.

Following the prophetic writings, the book of Amos places God in a position of authority, as ruler and judge, “the God of all peoples and responsible for everything that happens” (Collins, 207). Through prophetic oracles, nations (including Israel) are denounced and threatened. In fact, Amos foretells the fall of Israel to the Assyrians. The directives from Amos and other prophets are intended for nations and communities, as the prophets would often speak to their immediate social locations.

Conversely, the wisdom literature, and Ecclesiastes specifically, presents God as the overseer of ordered creation, who is “encountered in human affairs” (Collins, 332). The audience here targets individuals while exploring wisdom based on causes and effects. Lastly, the thematic content presented by the Teacher in Ecclesiastes offers a timeless permanence to the discoveries of wisdom, ones which are relayed through experience.

While these differences exist, both collections display a fearful reverence of God. In speaking against Israel, Amos details the gravity of God’s wrath: “The lion has roared; who will not fear?” (3:8). Likewise, the stated narrator in Ecclesiastes summarizes his findings by proclaiming, “Fear God, and keep his commandments” (12:13b). Additionally, the role of justice is prominently featured with both scriptural groupings. From concerns for the poor to calls for righteousness, Amos trusts that “to serve God is to practice justice” (Collins, 206). Likewise, in the Teacher’s search for meaning and wisdom in Ecclesiastes, he finds wickedness “in the place of justice” (3:16) and is troubled by looking upon “the tears of the oppressed” (4:1).

In the end, both the prophetic books and the wisdom literature serve to highlight divine authority and human existence, whether through prophecies of God’s commands and judgments or through wisdom being promoted and challenged.

In reply to Gregg Kohlhepp

Re: Kohlhepp_Reflective Essay #2

by Michelle Price -

I would agree that both sets of literature serve such a purpose as highlighting divine authority and human existence. It seems as though the prophetic books are God working through an individual to try and bring people back in line to following him, but the wisdom literature seems to share so many varying points of view of how God works on the daily level. 

When I looked at Job/Proverbs under wisdom literature there seems to be more of the challenging that you mention at the end. Do you see in Ecclesiastes where there is challenging, or maybe better put, questioning? The wisdom literature seems to leave the reader to ask a lot of rhetorical questions. Leaving the readers to question who God is, not because they doubt his power, but to try and better grasp how he works. 

In reply to Michelle Price

Re: Kohlhepp_Reflective Essay #2

by Gregg Kohlhepp -

Hello! Yeah, I see challenging in Ecclesiastes. It does offer much reflection on wisdom and seems pretty genuine in its honest approach, especially with providing proverbs and then undercutting them.

In reply to Gregg Kohlhepp

Re: Kohlhepp_Reflective Essay #2

by Julia O'Brien -

Gregg, this is an interesting post.

Many interpreters actually read Ecclesiastes as challenging the view of the DtrH and the prophets that God is just. If Ecclesiastes complains that the wicked are being rewarded and the righteous aren't, then isn't that a different take on God's fairness than you see in Amos?

I read Ecclesiastes as challenging human access to wisdom. You've read it in a more much comforting, traditional way. Can you say more? 

In reply to Julia O'Brien

Re: Kohlhepp_Reflective Essay #2

by Gregg Kohlhepp -

Yes, I would totally agree that it is a different sense of justice from Amos. I read somewhere as I was prepping for the post that the wisdom literature, while not calling for the social justice of the prophets, that it did call for universal justice. That triggered Job for me and made sense, except that I wasn't using Job. However, I believe that I see the same challenging or questioning of justice in some regard with Ecc. 3 and 4. 

As to why I would gravitate towards that more traditional view (though I was unaware that I was), I don't know. I like the challenging nature of it, the search for something. Those things intrigue me. Yet, I am troubled that its uncertainties are products of human experience with a loose divine authority (if that makes sense).