Joint Discussion Forum: Post due TUESDAY (4-28) 3 PM; reply to two posts by THURSDAY 3 PM

Weitzel_Reflective Essay 2

Weitzel_Reflective Essay 2

by Jennifer Weitzel -
Number of replies: 3

The prophetic books portray God as distant and/or separate. God sets up rules, and the people are expected to follow them. Humans know God’s will as God interacts with the community. Revelation comes through individuals for the benefit of the community. Judgment against other nations also reveals God’s will. Humans are supposed to follow God’s will for the nation as the purpose of their existence. This is seen in the book of Joel when God arrives like a ruler against a locust army who dictates expectations of the people (Joel 2:11). The people know God’s will through the revelation of Joel 2:12-13, and it is for all of the community (Joel 2:15-16). The people are to return to God so that they may know his sovereignty. They should do as God says, and he will restore them and their land. 

The wisdom books are focused on experience. God is known through questions and is more relationally connected to the people. Humans know God’s will through direct revelation of wisdom confirmed through experience. There is a distinct teaching style in the wisdom books, and elders are often the teachers. Revelation comes in smaller, more individual environments and is available to everyone. Wisdom is the purpose of human existence; it is good and necessary. Job asks God questions, and God hears Job even thought the conversation is confrontational. Job knows God and God’s will through the conversations and questions. God instructs Job on the essence and character of God just like a teacher would instruct a student. Revelation comes on a more individual level as Job receives insight from God instead of the whole group of characters. Job learns that the purpose of human existence is wisdom gained through relentless conversation and questions between himself and God. 

In reply to Jennifer Weitzel

Re: Weitzel_Reflective Essay 2

by Maxwell Staley -

I'm pleased to see you also mentioned the return to their land in Joel as that is a recurring theme throughout the prophetic books. I think this adds to the implications regarding faith's role in politics and vice versa. Your writing on Job, however, leaves me wanting a "where are they now?" spin-off. Does Job actually come to learn God's will? What happens to his new family? Do they really live happily ever after now that Job had this talk with God? I think your point about RELENTLESS conversation between self and God is spot on. 

by Neil D. Reeves -

Jennifer, I agree with your assessment that God always has relentless conversations with us to get our attention.  Job did lose his family, but God gave him another one. What happened to Job is a pattern that occurs in life. We go through some type of suffering such as bereavement over the loss of a family member or close friend, and we question God. Sometimes we become angry with God like Job. But, overtime, through conversations with God and the Holy Spirit, we get the answers we need to restore our faith. Are we better off from the loss of a love one or after going through some other type of suffering? I would say “no” for the lost but sometimes “yes” for suffering. But I don’t think this is the most important question to ask. The most important question is: Do we have a stronger relationship with God after the suffering? And the answer is “yes” over time. This is one of the reasons I think God’s wants us to continually have conversations with Him: to stretch us from adversity to adversity and to teach us that His power can sustain us during sufferings. I agree with you that from these conversations we acquire wisdom.

by Julia O'Brien -

Thanks, Jenn. 

As I noted on another post, I'm fascinated that you find God more distant in the prophets than in wisdom, since it is in the prophets that God speaks directly and reveals what God's perspective is. In these books God is also filled with passion--love as well as anger--but not passive. 

I read Proverbs as reflecting a God who is only known indirectly through observation. As for Job, do you think that God was actually listening/responding to Job? How do you understand that speech from the whirlwind and the fact that God never tells Job why he suffered? What kind of teacher is God here? 

You mention that Job learns the importance of asking questions. How do you understand the passage, then, about Job repenting?

I find these books so fascinating!