Joint Discussion Forum: Post due TUESDAY (4-28) 3 PM; reply to two posts by THURSDAY 3 PM

Mwat_Reflective Essay #2

Mwat_Reflective Essay #2

by Mwat Asedeh -
Number of replies: 2

The prophetic literature sounds political to me. It gives me a picture of, usually, an individual who usually stand against the wrongs in the society. Such a person comes with power and authority from God to speak against the ills in the society. Furthermore, the prophetic books show that a prophet only arise when there is a disconnect between the people and God. Such a prophet (or in some cases a group of prophets with one strong and charismatic leader) would be the mouthpiece of God to the people. Such a person stands to speak of hope, future and immediate deliverance or salvation, condemnation and to call for repentance. Sometimes these accounts have some sort of narration to give them a validity.

The book of Isaiah with its multiple parts encompasses most if not all of these attribute. The prophet speaks to the people warning them about coming danger (Isaiah 31) and then switches to comforting the people (Isaiah 40:1). In the case of Isaiah there are several narrations (Isaiah 36-39).

In comparison, the wisdom literature on the other hand do not necessarily speak from God to the people as it is in the prophetic books. On the contrary it is usually people talking to themselves or talking back to God. People speak to themselves about happenings around them and their experiences, reminding themselves about what is important and what they believe in. They speak praises to rulers, and to God. The book of proverbs is an example of this. It does not come I the form of “Thus says the Lord,” however, it offers counsel, guidance and instructions on what it means to live a good life as an Israelite “son” (Proverbs 2-5).

Furthermore, the proverbs although seem to point to a single writer, does not necessarily mean it was put together during the time of the acclaimed author. Little or nothing is usually said about these authors.

I am reminded by the features of these books to seek to understand the political climate of my times and context and minister by creating a link between a message from God to the experiences of the people.

In reply to Mwat Asedeh

Re: Mwat_Reflective Essay #2

by Michelle Price -

It seems as though both sets of literature are important in the growth of any person's faith. As I read various posts and continue to let this settle more, it brings to mind that the wisdom literature seems zoomed in on how we should be living, and the approval to ask questions of God. Then the prophetic books seem to zoom out and show how it sort of works in the life of a faithful individual. When God calls them forth to do something, or share a word with the people, the person does and sometimes there are questions that arise. 

I can see where you see the prophetic books as political because of the power and authority, but could it simply be how God uses individuals to help bring the greater community back into a life of faith? Even as individuals today, without the title of prophet, we are sharing the word of God to bring people together to walk in faith. Keeping one another accountable to remaining in line with God. Take away the power piece, the rulers, and when looking at the prophets task at hand it's simply to share the word and bring people back to order. 

In reply to Mwat Asedeh

Re: Mwat_Reflective Essay #2

by Julia O'Brien -

Mwat, your post brought up the important *political* aspect of the prophets. They claim that God determines the fate of kingdoms, kings, and empires. There are so many examples of this: Jeremiah advocating for surrender to the Babylonians, Isaiah claiming that Assyria is the "rod of God's anger," Second Isaiah's claim that Cyrus the Persian is God's anointed, etc.

Your interpretation of the "my son" in Proverbs is interesting.