Post: Week 4

Collins_ Week 4

Collins_ Week 4

by Calvin Collins -
Number of replies: 4

When I begin to think about David, the first thing that comes to mind is “Little David Play on Your Harp”. This song is one we learned as children and still sing to this day. This in a way relates back to Collins stating that “there are two accounts of how David came into the service of Saul (145).” Then we see in chapter 24 and 27 of 1st “Samuel that David had the opportunity twice to take Saul’s life yet he chose not to. (145). I chose to include these quotes from before this week’s reading because I thought it helped to respond to the question of David’s character. It says on page 150 that “a major turning point in this story (between 1 Samuel 16:14- 2 Samuel 5) is the death of Saul.” Knowing the prior knowledge that David does not kill Saul, but when Saul died there was a major turning point shows a bit into David’s Character. David was Saul’s son in law as it says he was twice his son in law. It says on page 150 that “Saul is cast as the defender of the oath of obedience.” That type of character is different than that of David’s because David had two opportunities to obey and kill Saul, yet he did not, but I definitely get the feeling that Saul might have killed David if the roles were reversed. Looking on the other hand into David slaying Goliath, many pastors to this day think that this current outbreak they can just pray away much like some of them I am sure support “praying the gay away”. Trust me, it does not work that way. I say this because David slaying Goliath was an honorable achievement of what God did and empowered David. Knowing the alleged idea that David might have been gay or bisexual as mentioned on page 152, I think that David slaying the giant made him look like a “macho man” as many men that have an effeminate side at times go through difficulty being respected and valued because they are not as masculine. On page 86, Wright shares that “war is the most extreme form of cultural trauma and invariably shapes the collective identity of a nation.” If the Deuteronomists wanted to, they could have made this story into an all-out war between David and Goliath and the townspeople, but that was not the purpose of the story. The purpose I believe was to show David and God the ruler as a victor. That God wins even when tested. This is similar to that in Genesis with the temptation by the serpent, Abraham almost killing Isaac. A New Testament example would have been Jesus tempted in the wilderness by the serpent. In each of these stories, one person comes out on top although for a second It almost seems like death won through the crucifixion, but we know there was a resurrection.

In reply to Calvin Collins

Re: Collins_ Week 4

by Maxwell Staley -

If David was questioned due to his sexuality then that would make his story (all of them) that much more about the success of the underdog. This supports the whole theme of the Bible: God always wins.

I didn't think much about it until now however it is mentioned that Saul is taller than everyone and very handsome. David is physically described as well but as "ruddy". I've always imagined David as smaller and stocky. Why does the author include this information? Why is it important that we know what these two men look like? David is presented in a really relatable way. So is David the prime example even with his flaws? Saul's pragmatism isn't always bad either. I'd like to hear more about temptation. Are you thinking specifically a temptation for power? Sex? Money? Worship of other gods?

In reply to Calvin Collins

Re: Collins_ Week 4

by Julia O'Brien -

It is interesting that you have focused on the early stories about David but not reflected on the stories near the end of second Samuel--Bathsheba and David's children.

I am well aware of the view that David was gay and would certainly be open to that. But I have always found it interesting that the text talks more about  jonathan's feelings for David than about David's feelings for Jonathan. In first and second Samuel almost everyone loves David.

In reply to Julia O'Brien

Re: Collins_ Week 4

by Maxwell Staley -

Very true. And it would be near impossible to assume that the "gay" thing was any issue other than David's presumed performance of appropriate masculinity. The commentary we read certainly makes it seem as though the majority of David's personal relationships served a political purpose. 

In reply to Calvin Collins

Re: Collins_ Week 4

by Mary Merriman -

Calvin, your response is loaded with so many ways to go. I'm going to pick one.  I think there is a relationships between David and Jonathan and the biblical language is what leads me to that belief.  But, there's nothing that is absolute.  They didn't have a word for homosexuality in the Old Testament and their what is translated as homosexuality I believe is idolatry and that, as we know,  is condemned. Secondly what people typically miss is its not what is outside that matters, it's what's within.  So a big challenge for everyone and significantly marginalized people is that we need to keep our focus on our hearts and our relationship to God. I've had people pray the gay away with me and here I am after 50 years, more in love with God because of the many ways in which love has conquered all in my life and the lives of many people that I've been blessed to serve. Rev. Troy Perry, my hero and mentor has an expression "We get so caught up with the miniscule concerns of life. Keep the main thing, the main thing."  I think David struggled with that, probably Jonathan and the apostle Paul. But here's my agreement with your takeaway and mine....The main thing and the point of the Goliath story and probably all of the others is to see God's mercy, goodness, love and power in all of this.