Tobin_Week 4

Tobin_Week 4

by Ryan Tobin -
Number of replies: 4

The writers of 1 & 2 Samuel present David as a complex and sometimes contradictory character. David is not at all a perfect hero: Collins notes that parts of 1 Samuel depict a David who is at best a mercenary and at worst an outlaw (152-3). Collins notes that even the "History of David's Rise" (1 Sam 16:14--2 Sam 5), which tries to paint a more sympathetic picture of David, still leaves readers with the impression that the text is little more than "a propaganda document" (151). However, 1 Samuel also includes some of the more positive attributes of David, including the various stories of his rise that show David as, subsequently: a lowly person who becomes exalted (1 Sam 16:1-13), a skilled musician who is admitted to the royal court (1 Sam 16:14-23) and as a brave and effective warrior (1 Samuel 17). (Collins 151) This trend continues in 2 Samuel, where David's evil deeds (e.g. 2 Sam 11-12) are depicted along with his positive qualities (e.g. 2 Samuel 7).

Wright makes the compelling argument that the Deuteronomistic history satisfies a particular function for the development of Israelite identity. Specifically, the Deuteronomistic history provides evidence of Israel's existence as a people or nation that is independent of the state institutions of Israel (93). In the Deuteronomistic history, Israel sees the rise and fall of a variety of institutions but does not lose its identity as a nation. This is true throughout the history as Israel moves through its various stages: invasion of the promised land (Joshua), a lose confederation of tribes (Judges), a united kingdom (1 & 2 Samuel) and a divided kingdom (1 & 2 Kings). God will vindicate God's own power and will by lifting up or setting down these institutions, but God does not abandon the chosen people of Israel (Wright, 84-6).

In reply to Ryan Tobin

Re: Tobin_Week 4

by Kevin Smith -

Ryan, thanks for pointing out where Wright says that Israel's existence is about them as a nation more than about their statehood, my paraphrasing. This viewpoint has given me better insight and understand of Jewish people and their perspective, and also with the world's current infatuation with nationalism. It does seem that people are searching for identity, even in the U.S. 

In reply to Ryan Tobin

by Caroline Bashore -

Ryan - I thought that you summarized the writing from the Wright article really well. I had trouble putting into words my thoughts on that article and the importance of David to the nation of God's people. However, I was wondering if you acknowledge that though First and Second Samuel depict David as far from perfect, you would say that he is still a hero? My take away from the Collins reading was that David's flaws and the fact that he is what units the states are what makes him a hero, even if he is an flawed hero. 

In reply to Caroline Bashore

by Julia O'Brien -

Caroline, Do you think there is something at stake for you in holding on to the idea of David as a hero?

In reply to Ryan Tobin

by Julia O'Brien -

Ryan, you did a great job of connecting Wright's discussion of identity in the face of losing nationhood with the characterization of David.

Perhaps the Law and its champions the prophets are the real heroes of the Deuteronomistic History.