Post: Week 4

Merriman - Week 4

Merriman - Week 4

by Mary Merriman -

“The pro-Davidic tone of 1 Samuel is evident in the fact that while Saul falters repeatedly, David can do no wrong.” (NOAB 4 p.399) and hence a hero. David is described as a ‘man after his (YHWH’s) own heart’ who was appointed to succeed Saul. (1 Samuel 13:14 b,c) This intimidates Saul and sets off a jealous rage which secretly motivates Saul to attempt to kill David. (1 Samuel 19: 9-24) In David’s actions, we see the marks of the hero who is fearless with Goliath (1 Sam.17:48) and compassionate as he becomes a comforter that helps to ease Saul’s evil spirit. (1 Samuel 16:23). David respects the laws of YHWH and is dedicated to following YHWH’s lead. (2 Samuel 5:19)  However, in 1 Samuel 21:11-13 we see another side of David in his fear of King Acshish of Gath. David’s fall from grace is demonstrated in 2 Samuel 11:4 in the many laws he violates in his lust for Bathsheba and the subtrafuge he creates to avoid public disgrace. The remainder of 2 Samuel illustrates Davids attempts to lead despite his fall.  

In “A Nation Conceived in Defeat” Jacob Wright offers interesting conjectures for why the stories of success and failure of King David such as these would become a focus in the Hebrew Bible.  “For while history may be written by the victors, it is often the losers who live to tell its tale”. In the aftermath of the defeat of Jerusalem, the followers of YHWH have a history that ‘holds the people together’ in exile. (p.97), offers a way of learning from the failures of their hero and maintain their assurance of YHWH’s love for them as a unique people of God.  

In reply to Mary Merriman

Re: Merriman - Week 4

by Jennifer Weitzel -

Hi Mary, I like the insights you provided from the notes in NOAB and the specifics of biblical references. I concur with your many references about David being a hero in many situations of his life. I'm curious, do you think that David ends his life as a hero? 

In reply to Jennifer Weitzel

r

by Mary Merriman -

Im curious about David's faith.  YHWH appears to be selecting people who have the ability to compromise their loyalty to YHWH and the Levitical laws and commit a variety of sins including murder. Are these the marks of a hero? What if the murderer is repentant?   David has despised the lord and will suffer the consequences. Nathan prophecies "The sword (violence NOAB 4, p.462) shall not leave your house".  YHWH exposes David's sin publicly though David his it privately. David repents and for his repentance YHWH puts away his sin, he will not die. Nevertheless, David and Bathsheba's first born child dies. (2 Sam. 12:10-14).  Obviously, I am moved by these four verses and believe that David's integrity is compromised and I don't believe he dies a hero.  I think many people paid a very high price for his sins and I don't think he learned from that.  The expression "the sword shall not leave your house" I think gives us this information.  An interesting parallel is the way in which violence begets violence in some people raised in domestic violence families.  They are marked within their minds as coming from violence and know no other way out.  But like the DV household, until the sword is removed there is sometimes no way out.   

Finally regarding heroes, I need to ask if a hero is someone who does an act of selflessness (bravery) to save another when that's part of the Great Command of Jesus. Maybe a hero is a human concept and love is God's ideal for us all.  Hope this makes sense

In reply to Mary Merriman

Re: r

by Julia O'Brien -

One way to read the ending of second Samuel is that Nathan's prediction that the sword will never leave David's house is played out in the stories of David's children: the repercussions of David sin are carried out in the next generation. This is especially evident when Absalom rapes concubines in public view just as Nathan had said.

On a small note, I'm not sure that the Deuteronomistic history is showing any interest in * levitical* law.

In reply to Mary Merriman

Re: Merriman - Week 4

by Maxwell Staley -

Very good points Mary. The Bible is rich with examples of what to do and what not to do. What is so interesting is that each character is both "good" and "bad". I wonder if the way David is portrayed is an example of the humanness of even God appointed kings. Perhaps a plug for for continued divine exclusivity for a people continually on the move.

In reply to Maxwell Staley

Re: Merriman - Week 4

by Mary Merriman -

Just one thought to explore with you. Are people good or bad (or somewhere in between) or does the bible describe humanity's evolving loyalty to God.  When Jesus is addressed as "Good Teacher" in Luke 18:19, his response is "Why do you call me good? Only God is good."  Just asking as I've always found this teaching interesting.