Weitzel_Week 4

Weitzel_Week 4

by Jennifer Weitzel -
Number of replies: 3

David is described as an outlaw, mercenary, deserter, compassionate, prophetic, triumphant, lustful, approachable, humble, committed, and imperfect. As an outlaw and mercenary, he is willing to kill a man for refusing to feed David’s army (1 Samuel 25). He is a deserter when he is removed from the decision about whom he will fight for in battle (Philistines or Israel). He is compassionate and merciful when he refrains from killing Saul and mourns over the death of his sons. The prophetic side of David comes out in the thousands of psalms, songs, and poems he wrote. He is triumphant in battle and acquiring the women whom he lusts after. When Nathan confronts David about his behavior and motives, David is approachable and humble to receive Nathan’s corrective challenge. David is committed to his family, friends, and leaders (sons, Jonathan, Saul). Most of all, David’s imperfection is his charm because he is relatable to others. 

I describe David in all of these ways because in his defeat and terrible moments he is triumphant. His downfall is his strength. The tragedies, greed, and power he uses to harm others lead him to repentance and humility. These characteristics of David connect to the article because the author suggests that a nation’s identity is defined by their defeat, not their triumph. Their identity is strengthened from their downfall much like David’s identity is defined by his imperfections. 

In reply to Jennifer Weitzel

Re: Weitzel_Week 4

by Gregg Kohlhepp -

Good evening, Jennifer! I think you did an amazing job of taking on the dynamism of David's character. As a teenager, I still remember being overwhelmed by the sins and wrongness of David as I learned more of his story. I mean, here is this Sunday School icon - one whose line gives rise to our Messiah. And to learn that he was flawed, deeply flawed, was shocking and comforting at the same time. 

I feel the Deuteronomistic depiction of David attached to the sufferings and questionings of the exiled Israelites much in the same way it attached to me as a teenager. It is the "vantage point of the vanquished" that appreciates the tremendous victories of David but values even more the hope that remains in defeat (Wright 84). You clearly come to the same conclusion as you link the strengthening of the Israelites' identity with the full spectrum of David's identity. He truly is "a fully human figure, who is no saint" (Collins 164). Yet, despite his humanness, David is chosen and uplifted by a faithful, devoted Lord of all. It is this Davidic covenant that shapes and inspires a lost, exiled people who still hold to the covenant made with Abraham.

by Neil D. Reeves -

Jennifer, I like the way you describe David about being triumphant after his defeats. This to me suggests that, through repentance, we all can be triumphant, and there is hope after any fall.

by Julia O'Brien -
it is interesting that several posts see David as a "type" of an Israel that can be flawed but loved by God.
In my reading, I don't see such of a happy ending for David or his descendents. 2 Samuel 11 and following show the downfall of his house,and 1-2 Kings are in many ways a tragic story of flawed Davidic and non-Davidic leaders. what do you make out of this larger story of the DtrH?