Staley week 4

Staley week 4

by Maxwell Staley -
Number of replies: 3
Collins suggests that 1 and 2 Samuel are proactive apologies for the behavior of David. The authors write about David's flaws in a way that more or less just glosses over the fact. The tone of the two books (second half of 1 Samuel especially) centers on how different David is from Saul and the developing political relationship between the two men. David always seems to have a justification for his actions and is able to present a balance between Samuel's piety and Saul's pragmatism. For example, when David fights Goliath his confidence comes from the fact that not only has he killed lions and bears but this Philistine is uncircumcised and therefore does not have God in his corner. If 1 and 2 Samuel were written and/or edited after the defeat of Jerusalem, then the way in which David is characterized ( I would say perfectly flawed) reinforces the importance of God over place. Of course place is important when developing a national identity, it seems as though that cannot be guaranteed. A faithful God however, now that is something a nation can (in theory) get behind)
In reply to Maxwell Staley

Re: Staley week 4

by Michelle Price -

In general writing things afterward helps them learn from where they came from. I didn't quite process holding onto God over the people, but He is a constant in this. You can watch what happens when the obey and when they stray. So building a new nation with a God foundation. 

David was certainly flawed, but could also rise up with God behind him. Pointing out the flaws with success could also give hope of what is yet to come out of destruction.

by Calvin Collins -

Maxwell 

Your statement of being “perfectly flawed” stuck with me. Definitely David was flawed but he still was called to a perfect calling. I think the reference to curcumcision is also poignant in this time when scripture was written. God being faithful as you mention is definitely something we can agree that appeals to the masses. It’s that thought process that possibly allowed these miracles to occur in scripture. The faithfulness of God to Gods people that even through tough trials is definitely appealing especially in this current time in our world.

Peace

Calvin 

by Julia O'Brien -

as i noted in another post, some interpreters see the Law and not David as the hero of the DtrH.

even even a perpetual dynasty is subject to the rewards and punishments, then monarchy takes second place to obedience to divine law.

look at Deut 17:14-20