Bashore_Week 4

Bashore_Week 4

by Caroline Bashore -
Number of replies: 3

My take-away from the Collins reading, is that the writers of First and Second Samuel do not describe David as a perfect hero. However, David is a hero, but it is his lack of perfectionism that draws the favorable light (151). The stories told in the Samuels seem to depict a series of situations where David makes human errors that resonant with common readers. Yet, the writers still make it clear that David loves YHWH, but YHWH loves David and has chosen him over Saul when he makes the promise of the Davidic dynasty in Second Samuel 7 (156). I believe that based off of my reading from Wright’s article, that the writes describe David in a favorable light while still pointing out his flaws, as a way to remind reads of the commonness that the people of Israel and Judah share. Wright states that, “War invariable shapes the collective identity of a nation” (86). The states of Israel and Judah went through a great deal of war over the time period of the divided kingdom, from Assyria and Babylon. Yet, in the aftermath of the defeat of Jerusalem, the exiles of both states, stand together based on their common history of their heroic leader David. Wright argues that without the wars that brought Israel and Judah into exile, the states would have continued to grow apart from each other, and they wouldn’t have become the nation that they did following the exile (92). The war may have played a huge part in their nationality, but the shared person of David is the reason the states were truly brought back together.

In reply to Caroline Bashore

Re: Bashore_Week 4

by Gregg Kohlhepp -

Good evening, Caroline! it is interesting when David's covenant is compared with the fallout of Saul reign. I agree that Collins paints a complete picture David that rivals the achievements and faults of Saul. Yet, David rises higher and moves farther than Saul ever could. The reasoning, as you clearly state, is that "David loves YHWH, but YHWH loves David." And, it is this bond, that makes David's narrative essential for the people of Israel and Judah. This point comes through Wright's essay, as he connects the national image of the Israelites with the fact the "natural history transmitted in the Bible...does not end in victory" (Wright 88). This national narrative grows forth from a history that celebrates the victories of the Lord through the Pentateuch and the Deuteronomistic History, the victories of "Israel's greatest human king, David" (88). Yet, these victories give way to downfall and devastation at the hands of Assyrians and Babylonians. So, coming from a state of brokenness and despair, from wanting and waiting, how glorious is the Lord's love and faithfulness to David, in creating a backstory for the current uncertainties of God's peoples. 

by Neil D. Reeves -

Caroline, I didn't assess David as you did, but your post has changed my mind to support your position. Too often we look at others faults and not their contributions in society. This bias leads us to judge someone more critically than we should. The fact that "David loved YHWH and YHWH loved David" suggests to me that grace is possible for us when we fail/sin while working in the vineyard.

by Julia O'Brien -

I'm not sure that david is shared by both kingdoms.

the Deuteronomistic History the northern kingdom as uninterested in david. especially in the account in 1 kings of the division of the monarchy.

Wright is offering a different perspective here--that monarchy was not the basis for identity or reunification.