Theology and Leadership Post

Week 3-Theological quotes

Week 3-Theological quotes

by Charlotte Johnson -

"There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, or popular, but he must take it because his conscience tells him it is right"   Marin Luther King Jr.  

This quote from Dr. King undergirds the thought process for decision making for every person that is in a leadership position.  More often then not, that person has to make the tough decisions, and they have to make them alone.  As the leader people will hold you accountable for the outcome of every situation, especially if that outcome is negative.  You are the one responsible for, so no matter what the popular vote may be you have to follow your guide, your conscience, your spiritual direction, knowing that whatever happens you can be at peace with the actions taken.  You cannot worry about who likes who and who will be upset when you have all the information, you have done your research and even though you know it might not make sense to those that only see things from point of view, but you know that the decision was the right one to make, then make it and stand by it.

I am sure there were many events that arose during Dr. Kings leadership role during the civil rights movement and going to jail was not the outcome he wanted for himself and those that followed him, but he knew it was a necessary evil that would cause others to take notice of what was happening in our country.  Being assassinated would not have been a choice during his life but his conviction was such that even though he knew his life was on the line, he stood firm on the decision he made to fight for justice and lead people out of their misery.

Dr. King also said , "Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase", so a leader must have faith that the decisions that are made are the ones that he knows are right no matter how many people think that they are not, and he has the conviction to stand by them.

In reply to Charlotte Johnson

Re: Week 3-Theological quotes

by Zoe Dheedene -

This is a great quote. When you're in a leadership position, or an administrative position, you're the one who gets to see the whole picture while those around you often only see fragments. I agree with standing by decisions and I love that you really highlighted the importance of being prepared to do so through ethics, emotional stability, and research. I would personally add community to that list as well. A leader represents more than just themselves; even when an idea is undeniably the best one, the input and support of the community is an important part of the equation.

In reply to Charlotte Johnson

Re: Week 3-Theological quotes

by Elizabeth Shuba -

Oh Charlotte! Both of Dr King's quotes feel as if they could have been written yesterday.  So many are reeling from the fear of what is unknown and uncertain, but I agree if we continue to let our conscience lead the way when we are unclear we will be guided well.  It can be a heavy burden for a leader to carry when those you lead are lost and looking to you for answers.  I have often poorly summarized Dr King's sentiment when I have offered  that in doing the hardest thing we are often doing what is most right.  

In reply to Charlotte Johnson

Re: Week 3-Theological quotes

by Michael Wilson -

Charlotte,

Great quotes and great insights about leadership.  Both of them made me think of the loneliness that often comes with leadership -- and how necessary it is for a leader to have some sort of community of support.  Both taking a step when no one can see the future and standing with conviction can be incredibly difficult -- especially if those closest to us don't see it the same.  

Well done.