Theology and Leadership Post

Weston Week 3

Weston Week 3

by Coralis Weston -

Life is 10% of what happens to us and 90% of how we react to it. Dennis P Kimbro

This might not be a theological quote but it is a quote I like to refer to. There is so much truth to this quote because the way we react to things has a lot to do with how we are formed. Take for instance the story of Moses and his father in law Jethro. This is a story I go to each time I do a presentation on leadership at my Church. What happened to Moses was just part of his role, the way he reacted was part of his issue. Thus, the 10% versus the 90%.  Jethro even told him what you are doing is not good you are wearing yourself out. What he proceeds to suggest represents the 90% mentioned on the quote. Use what you must make a solid plan to carry out the work.  

The upside of this quote in leadership is that you realized that your reaction to the things that happen can change things.  I am not saying we should not be proactive but when you look at things understanding that what you do will make a difference you tend to plan for everything. You spend time thinking on what could go wrong and you plan for those situations.

The downside of this is that some might become reactive individuals instead of proactive. This is never good in leadership as it makes the leader look like someone who doesn’t have it together. Being a reactive leader make those  who you are leading doubt your decisions and makes for an unstable relationship.

In reply to Coralis Weston

Re: Weston Week 3

by Deleted user -

Agreed Corey. We cannot control what happens to us all of the time but we do have control over how we respond to the happenings in our lives. As leaders we do need to set a precedent for those who look to us for guidance. How we respond to circumstances, whether negative or positive can ultimately impact how those we lead will respond to their circumstances. 

In reply to Coralis Weston

Re: Weston Week 3

by Michael Panzarella -

Coralis, your quote certainly speaks to me.  My uncle kept this one close to his heart and on his cork board following the loss of his job many years ago.  That time period presented a serious challenge for him as he was the primary financial supported for his family.  The percentages certainly could be argued to large degrees depending on the scenario, but it certainly brings about the focus.  As in the Emotional Intelligence 2.0 book, there are many things we can work to control, namely ourselves.  We do have control over our reaction to situations because that comes from us, especially as leaders.  We should minimize the focus on the "10% that happens to us" because it is outside our realm of control.  Moreover, I think it is important that in the context of being a leader, that there will still be things that happen outside of our control.  It is not possible to control everything, and that sense or internal need to be in control of everything should be managed through self-awareness by switching focus to that which we are in control.

This leads me to the prayer:

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

In reply to Coralis Weston

Re: Weston Week 3

by Michael Wilson -

Great quote -- and one with, I think, theological depth.  It raises questions about where God presence and activity happen -- in the external pressures around us?  In our own spirit as we respond?  In and through others?  Lots of things to talk about there!

I think the main danger of our own downside here is that we become incapacitated by our anxieties, lock up and don't respond at all.

Nice job.