Theology and Leadership Post

Bracken - Theological Quote

Bracken - Theological Quote

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

I chose this quote because I truly believe that a leader should be an example to others. A leader should encourage their followers to believe in themselves and their dreams.  As a Christian leader the pastor’s actions are inspired, prescribed and based in the Jesus Christ and his actions.  Christ like actions honor God and others.  They call people to be more than they think they can be and place their lives and dreams in the larger context of God’s redeeming love and work. A pastor should be an inspiration for others and know how to encourage their parishioners to do more but also know how to reach out to the lost and hurting people in their community. As the shepherd in a community of believers, the pastor should lead in such a way that parishioners are inspired to listen for God’s voice and see themselves as worthy of being loved and being used in God’s work.  The Christian leader should reach out to the surrounding community you to nurture the gifts of people who deem themselves unworthy and whom nobody else believes can be loved or is worth loving.   Being a Christian leader one needs to be able to catch the vision of God and help the fellowship of believers see that vision. It is important to listen to the thoughts and ideas of the congregation because they need to feel they play a part in furthering the kingdom of God.  It is also the job of the pastor to start and oversee new mission projects or new ministries but they should be able to turn it over to a member of their congregation.  Shared leadership and dreaming as part of God’s beloved community will help the pastor as leader to inspired others, but also to be inspired by others.

As the statement stands without any context, it could be construed in inappropriate ways.  For instance a leader could inspire people to dream of having more money without considering the effects of their dreams on others.  

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Bracken - Theological Quote

by Michael Byrd -

"Being a Christian leader one needs to be able to catch the vision of God and help the fellowship of believers see that vision. It is important to listen to the thoughts and ideas of the congregation because they need to feel they play a part in furthering the kingdom of God." This statement is so true and also biblical, where there is no vision the people will fall. Listening to what God calls them to do and listening to the communities needs are vital in leadership. Once we put our own agendas in front of God's and others division will follow. There is great unity that follows with the gathering of a congregation that believes and follows the vision that is casted. People cry out for such a leader who is humble enough before them and leads by example.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Bracken - Theological Quote

by Michael Wilson -

Heidi,

It is a great post -- filled with insight about the responsibilities and pitfalls of leadership.  I'm not seeing the actual quote, though.  Am I missing something?