Theology and Leadership Post

Bracken - Theological Quote 2 ignore first please

Bracken - Theological Quote 2 ignore first please

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, to do more, to learn more and to become more then you are a leader"  John Quincy Adams,  www.geckoandfly.com

I chose this quote because I truly believe that a leader should be an example to others. A leader should encourage their followers to believe in themselves and their dreams.  As a Christian leader the pastor’s actions are inspired, prescribed and based in the Jesus Christ and his actions.  Christ like actions honor God and others.  They call people to be more than they think they can be and place their lives and dreams in the larger context of God’s redeeming love and work. A pastor should be an inspiration for others and know how to encourage their parishioners to do more but also know how to reach out to the lost and hurting people in their community. As the shepherd in a community of believers, the pastor should lead in such a way that parishioners are inspired to listen for God’s voice and see themselves as worthy of being loved and being used in God’s work.  The Christian leader should reach out to the surrounding community you to nurture the gifts of people who deem themselves unworthy and whom nobody else believes can be loved or is worth loving.   Being a Christian leader one needs to be able to catch the vision of God and help the fellowship of believers see that vision. It is important to listen to the thoughts and ideas of the congregation because they need to feel they play a part in furthering the kingdom of God.  It is also the job of the pastor to start and oversee new mission projects or new ministries but they should be able to turn it over to a member of their congregation.  Shared leadership and dreaming as part of God’s beloved community will help the pastor as leader to inspired others, but also to be inspired by others. 

As the statement stands without any context, it could be construed in inappropriate ways.  For instance a leader could inspire people to dream of having more money without considering the effects of their dreams on others.  

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Bracken - Theological Quote 2 ignore first please

by Michael Panzarella -

Great points on nurturing and even the possible misinterpretation of the quote in the view of negative thinking, Heidi.  I like how the quote sets no singular goal that all should achieve; instead it is relativistic.  It allows for no matter what stage people are present in, they can rise to new heights with a challenge appropriate to the level in which they reside.  It leaves the leader with a greater challenge, as teachers when they differentiate instruction for different levels of ability in the same classroom.  However, relativistic inspiration makes the possibility of growth attainable for all.  Thank you for sharing that quote and most especially your thoughts on it.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Bracken - Theological Quote 2 ignore first please

by Michael Wilson -

Got it!  Now I see the quote.  Really interesting.  I like the connection to our history and the reminder of how difficult it can be actually to lead.  You also make connections to the human cost of leadership -- how we pay a price for what we do how others respond.