Theology and Leadership Post

Zoë- Quote

Zoë- Quote

by Zoe Dheedene -
Number of replies: 3

540_293_resize_20130601_036799195512bd4d

For those of you who were present in Dr. Barrett’s theology class, the nod to process theology here is probably fairly noticeable. This quote represents a theology of self-worth and ambition that lifts these attributes up as opportunities to inspire others. I have always had an emotional response to this quote, no matter how many times I’ve been exposed to it. Nelson Mandela has often received credit for this since he included it in a speech; it has since been properly attributed to Marianne Williamson. However, it isn’t hard to imagine the power of it when delivered by Nelson Mandela to the oppressed people he empowered. This quote empowers and uplifts.  

Ideally, this theology is applied to leadership in a way that transcends the individual. The encouragement here is to let your light shine, and to do so brightly and boldly, and in doing so, to empower and lift up others. I truly believe that rejecting the notion of shrinking; standing your ground and speaking your truth has the ability to inspire similar behavior in others.

I’ve seen this quote edited and shortened in varying ways, one of them, simply uses the beginning and reads:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. 

We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not be to be?”

This cuts off all of the communal themes. Even when reading it in its entirety, some people are able to simply walk away with nothing more than a sense of (now pardonable) selfish ambition. However, I find Williamson to be fairly clear on the subject. If you were to only follow your ambitions for selfish reasons, then the light wouldn’t shine nearly as brightly. Through celebrating the glory of God in others we are able to find it, experience it, and witness to it in our own lives.

In reply to Zoe Dheedene

Re: Zoë- Quote

by Joseph Michael -

I think you are wise to note the tension here between an individualized sense of actualization and the idea of being and becoming something more together.  This can be a difficult line to walk as sometimes people in our communities can be so far apart.  Leadership seeks to span this gap and reconcile across the divide.

In reply to Zoe Dheedene

Re: Zoë- Quote

by Celso Mesias -

Beautiful and powerful quote. We are the children of God and the light of the world, not for nothing. Also this quote remarks on me how important is our Self-awareness to define and understand our emotions and get self-confidence; and its transcendence, like the fear mentioned in the quote "...liberated from our own FEAR our presence automatically liberates others." A good lesson of leadership.

Thanks Zoe.

In reply to Zoe Dheedene

Re: Zoë- Quote

by Michael Wilson -

Zoe,

Great quote.  I, indeed, had only every read the first part of it.  I appreciate your work in seeing how the entire quote is necessary so that it isn't just about personal power and self-fulfillment.  In the words of the EI work we're doing -- I think that is what moves us from "self" to "social" and brings us out into the world in order actually to lead.

My other thought is that (and this is one of the challenges of process theology) is that you do a really nice job of engaging in dealing with the suffering of the world -- you move us from ourselves to the fears and anxieties of others.