Theology and Leadership Post

Mesias - Week 3 Theology and Leadership

Mesias - Week 3 Theology and Leadership

by Celso Mesias -
Number of replies: 4

Theology and Leadership.

Theological quote that represents a theological conviction of yours.

I selected the quote of theologian Karl Barth:

"Jesus does not give recipes that show the way to God as other teachers of religion do. He is himself the way"

Karl Barth sustains "God is and does in His Son" (Dogmatic in Outline, pg. 45 ). The grace of God in Jesus; for salvation, the Good News.

Jesus, has been my role model of leadership, always. A divine leadership? Well, Jesus as a man, his qualities and his ministry, went beyond his teachings. His vision, mission and biblical core values represent the essence of our faith.

And now, in some way I would say how Emotional Intelligence can play a fundamental role in His Leadership; how He managed Himself and the relationships, through the capabilities of Self-awareness, Self-management, Social awareness and Social skills. Understanding the emotions and confidence, trustworthiness, empathy, serving the needy, visionary, influential and teamwork with His disciples.

Also, in that sense, I want to consider the definition of leadership of Dr. M. Wilson,

"Leadership is choosing the proper balance of relationship, task, and preparation to help people move further into God reign/kingdom."

So, I would say, that, my theological conviction of leadership is the God's Kingdom, to lead like Jesus.

In reply to Celso Mesias

Re: Mesias - Week 3 Theology and Leadership

by Elizabeth Shuba -

As a person who loves to cook, I appreciate the idea of a recipe to leadership. If we continue on with that analogy, some of the ingredients of the leadership recipe are those that you list above, "confidence, trustworthiness...." and I would add flexibility. One important thing to remember in leadership is that the people you are leading are variables in the recipe.  Maybe we can think of flexibility as the salt of the leadership recipe. Sometimes you need a pinch, sometimes you need a cup.

In reply to Celso Mesias

by Michael Byrd -

Celso, great quote by Karl Barth. Many fortune five hundred companies have adopted the leadership of Jesus Christ. A man who had vision and led by example. A man who was a risk taker who wasn't afraid of standing up for justice and also a humble servant. A man who said what he was going to do and followed through. John 14:6, Jesus says, I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the father except through me. I also want to lead like Jesus, for he is more than my teacher.

In reply to Michael Byrd

by Celso Mesias -

Yes! Mike. I forgot to mention the biblical citation of John 14:6 in my post, complementing the Karl's quote.

Thank you for your remarks.

In reply to Celso Mesias

by Michael Wilson -

Celso,

Great quote -- and very interesting insights.  Barth's theology has pushed us to consider what it means to have a crucified God (Pannenberg), which means that leadership comes involve the deepest of sacrifices. I appreciate your Christocentric approach to what it means to lead.  Partly, I'm thinking of what that means about approaching others and how it pushes us to serve them and care about them.

You might be interested in the work of Max DePree - who was a Christian businessman who thought deeply about how to lead.  He prefers jazz as a metaphor over cooking -- but I think he would like what you have to say.