Theology and Leadership Post

Shuba-Week 3

Shuba-Week 3

by Elizabeth Shuba -

I chose the quote "Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" by Mohammad Ali.  

Service and community are central to my theology. I am driven to make this world better in any way I can.  While I believe that a single person can create a ripple that can change the world, I understand that a community behind that ripple can transform it to a wave. This quote represents both elements of my theology.  I believe that God has provided this place for us because how we spend our time here is important.  More importantly that good works bring us closer to God.

It is a helpful reminder of why I was drawn to leadership and seminary in the first place, to make a difference. My leadership style is molded by the belief that nothing builds morale in a group like a leader that mirrors the expectations she hopes to see in those she leads.  When those you lead understand that you are willing to make sacrifices for them, they will repay you with loyalty in your vision and in your shared goal. In short trust is an invaluable asset in any organization.

The downside to this leadership style is that you can get burned out because the world is never healed and life is never perfect.  I have often corrected this tendency by creating boundaries.  Most importantly I need them for myself so that I don’t become overwhelmed and tread water or lose focus.  I have needed them with those I lead so that they understand that while I am accessible, I need ownership over my time away from the group to refuel.

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Shuba-Week 3

by Deleted user -
I agree Shuba. I think that service to others and the desire to see people grow, prosper and become their best selves is central to ministry in general. I could not image taking on this endeavor any other way. It is truly a labor of love driven by a pure desire to just be helpful. 
In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Shuba-Week 3

by Deleted user -

Shuba love, love, love, your quote and your post. I think service and community are absolutely essential to theology. The most important command according to Jesus is to love the Lord Your God and the second is to love others. God has definitely called us for this time and for God's purpose. What we do as service for others is our service to God and a community of believer's can make a huge impact on this earth.

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Shuba-Week 3

by Charlotte Johnson -

Shuba, I so agree with your quote and your use of it.  Leadership is service and requires you to give so much of yourself, which makes boundary setting so essential when you are in the leadership role.

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Shuba-Week 3

by Beth Eustis -

Hi Shuba, I love your theology! You are so right, though, that the risk of burnout is real. As Moderator of the Elders at my church, I have been encouraging my Elders (spiritual friends) to reach out to the members of the congregation who are in their "flocks," both the ones who come to church and those who don't. The more we reach out, the more we can be community with them, and the less afraid they may be to open up to someone who isn't the pastor in the future. Some people think the pastor has the "inside track" to God and that their prayers don't count for as much. One of the things I would try to lead my congregation in is the idea that we can help each other to be community - it doesn't have to just rest on the pastor.

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Shuba-Week 3

by Michael Wilson -

Shuba,

Great quote and post.  When we are talking about leadership styles this week, I want you to pay attention to the pace-setting style and to the affiliative style -- I suspect that as you blend these, you'll find the balance of calling people forward and caring about yourself and them when they/we/you don't live up to the ideals we all set.