Theology and Leadership Post

Eustis - Theology and Leadership

Eustis - Theology and Leadership

by Beth Eustis -

“Power is something that God gave to humanity...I would question 'power,' which at times is used to define religion. If one thinks that power is to impose my way, to push everyone in my line and to make them go on that path, I believe that is wrong. Religion must not be like that.” Pope Francis, On Heaven and Earth, page 147

“Don't waste your energy trying to educate or change opinion. Go “Over! Under! Through!” and opinions will change when you're the boss. Or they won't. Who cares? Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.” Tina Fey, Bossypants, page 145

Obviously, the Fey quote is not a religious one. But it gives me an idea about how to lead in a church. I attended a boundary training course recently, and learned that a pastor should not use his/her congregation to fulfill an emotional “need” he/she has. As a pastor, to go by what I interpret Fey as saying, I should lead my congregation the way I want and not push them or force them into anything. That is, “What you have, keep offering it to your congregation. They'll either take it or they won't. It doesn't matter.” No one wants to force people to love them. That includes God. Pope Francis is wise to say, “Religion must not be like that.”

My pastor has a message that he offers continually in a multitude of ways - “The kingdom of God is at hand. Being a disciple is hard, and requires change, but God's way is always the better way. Jesus shows us how. Come and See. Amen.” If people start developing spiritual practices, recognizing that it's ongoing and not a “one and done,” with discipline, perseverance and help from God and other believers, people who are seeking can do God's work. But my pastor recognizes that not everyone will follow. And he doesn't get discouraged. He keeps loving us, without “needing” us, and continues to teach, day in and day out. He is my role model.

The upside is, if you don't “need” your congregation to buy what you're saying, you're saving your sanity. The downside is, if you're too aloof, you're not leading at all. A fine line needs to be drawn.

In reply to Beth Eustis

Re: Eustis - Theology and Leadership

by Deleted user -

It seems like you're being very honest and intentional about the relationships you tend to develop with any congregations you serve. I would ask how do you see the need for a minister to recieve feedback from members of the congregation? How would it fit into your system?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Eustis - Theology and Leadership

by Beth Eustis -

Jeff, that's a great question! I would PRAY for feedback! I would hope people would respond to me with questions, comments. I would hope that people come to church because they are seeking, and not just because they think they have to  because if they don't, they won't go to heaven. I would encourage people to come see me and I would do my best to help them to understand things better - about God, the Bible, faith. My pastor has done this for me for the last five years - helping this recovering Catholic understand what God is really about. But he doesn't tell me what to do. He encourages me to pray and to LISTEN and let God lead me.

I would also try to reassure people as I first come on board that I would not make huge changes right away. In fact, most changes I make would come as a result of talking together as a congregation and figuring out what it is God wants for us and what our priorities are. What do we want to do as the body of Christ? The changes would come from there - slowly.

In reply to Beth Eustis

Re: Eustis - Theology and Leadership

by Michael Wilson -

Beth,

Any style of leadership that involves humor, self-awareness, humility, and candor is going to go far.  Great post.  

I was thinking about the boundary training -- and the only thing I might want to add to that is that my perspective is not so much that our emotional needs aren't involved in the lives of the congregation -- that would be inhuman and impossible.  I think that the goal is self-awareness, which comes through conversations.  You are correct that we aren't aiming for aloof -- neither do we want emeshed.  

You have a great pastor.  Glad you are there!