Theology and Leadership Post

McGeorge - Theological Quote

McGeorge - Theological Quote

by Betsy McGeorge -

"Never once did Jesus scan the room for the best example of holy living and send that person out to tell others about him. He always sent stumblers and sinners. I find that comforting." - Nadia Bolz-Weber, "Accidental Saints: Finding God in All the Wrong People"

I, like Nadia Bolz-Weber, find this very comforting about Jesus as well. In many depictions, the disciples were a bunch of stumblers and sinners, as was Mary Magdalene.

The upside to this theology as it relates to leadership is that there are stumblers and sinners a-plenty. The best examples of holy living are few and far-between, and even if you could find them, most of them will only fool you for so long. Even more, those who are perhaps seen as "less than" are more capable of taking their stories to the masses and tend to be more open to loving others, as they do not think too highly of themselves. As a leader, they may not expect you to stay on your pedestal and are happy to find that you, too, are stumbling and sinning. Nadia Bolz-Weber is a recovering alcoholic and, I believe, regularly attends AA meetings. There is no shortage of humility and willingness to listen in those meetings and leadership is shared easily.

The downside to this theology with regard to leadership is that there may be a lot of explaining and re-explaining concepts. Leading a group who does not grasp concepts easily is difficult and requires a significant amount of patience. There may also be a tendency of the congregation to rely very heavily on the pastor for emotional support, which could result in burn-out.

In reply to Betsy McGeorge

Re: McGeorge - Theological Quote

by Deleted user -

I also appreciate Nadia Bolz-Webber of a minister who is willing to lead from a place of vulnerability. I found in my own preaching that I connect more with the congregation when I am willing to admit the place where I fall short of my own expectations. It give the listeners permission to treat themselves more kindly when they fail to live up to the unrealistic expectations that society imposes on us. 

In reply to Betsy McGeorge

Re: McGeorge - Theological Quote

by Deleted user -

Nadia Bolz-Weber - love it!  What I enjoyed so much about Pastrix is captured in your quote:  God will use normal, deeply flawed people to reach other people - maybe just like them.  I agree with your observations and would add one more.  Striving for human perfection is an idolatrous ideal that can never really be achieved.  If we take that same effort spent chasing fuzzy shadows of selves that never really existed and just reached out - flawed as we are - we can perform humble ministry NOW!

In reply to Betsy McGeorge

Re: McGeorge - Theological Quote

by Beth Eustis -

Besty, I too find it comforting to know that the disciples were just regular guys that Jesus picked out, seemingly at random. Peter is my hero! lol To know that to do God's work that you don't have to be powerful or wealthy or even especially smart is extremely comforting to me. If those guys can do it, we all can. It's a matter of being open to it, of not wanting to depend on the pastor to tell you how to behave so you can get to heaven. I have learned that it is SO not about that. But that "being open to it" is hard because it requires you to look at yourself and let go of what is getting in your way of being a disciple. It is hard work because, well, who wants to do that? lol Facing our own faults and problems and learning how to deal with it takes a lot of courage. As leaders, we need to embody that.

In reply to Betsy McGeorge

Re: McGeorge - Theological Quote

by Michael Wilson -

Really interesting quote, Betsy.  And super post.

Have you read Henri Nouwen's "The Wounded Healer?"  It is filled with insights about how to lead from places of vulnerability.  And with wisdom about the consequences of what happens when we lead by loosing (not losing, but "making loose") control.  You are absolutely correct that this style of leadership can be messy.  And I agree with you that this is the way to move into our own humanity and also to help others live into their own.