Case Study Week 2 Forum

Byrd Case Study Week 2

Byrd Case Study Week 2

by Michael Byrd -
Number of replies: 4

You are the pastor of First Presbyterian Church. The Clerk of Session gives you a letter from a deacon alleging that an elder male sexual advances toward her after last Sunday night’s service. The deacon also wrote that the elder has been calling and harassing her. The clerk asks, “What are we to do?”

What dynamics do you observe?

This is a delicate situation which requires a prompt response. As the Pastor being informed of this alleged act it is vital to act promptly but with guidance and wisdom. Because the clerk knows what is going on, so it is also important to let the clerk know the sensitivity of this alleged act so as not to discuss this with anyone else. Confidentiality is critical with any alleged acts. There must be a good policy and procedure to follow as well as proper communication to everyone involved. Bad things do not get better with time.

What other information would you want?

What does our discipline and handbook state about harassment and sexual advances? Does anyone else know about this? This is very important as to minimize gossip and harm to the people and congregation that would be effected.

What would be your next steps?

After proper guidance and instruction there would need to be a face to face, this is biblical which we use in our church Matthew 18 model. After addressing the alleged act with both parties with other Elders as witnesses depending on the outcome there should be a path to reconciliation and forgiveness. There should also be accountability which would be outlined in the discipline or handbook.

270 words

In reply to Michael Byrd

Re: Byrd Case Study Week 2

by Michael Panzarella -

Mike, I agree in your clear statement that "Bad things do not get better with time."  It's true when my strawberries start to grow mold in the fridge, they are not going to suddenly get better if I ignore them.  Perhaps, it would lead to the entire fridge getting moldy.  The approach of this situation certainly is "delicate."  In that light, I see such strong value in the Bradberry and Greaves book emphasizing the four emotional qualities.  Being cautious of yourself with self-awareness (pg 75), paying attention to body language and looking for the entire picture with social awareness (pg 141, 171), as well as taking on difficult conversations with relationship management (pg 219) all seem to be critical areas in which to engage in this process.

127 words

In reply to Michael Byrd

by Heather Petit -

I am curious how this face to face approach plays out with power dynamics, oppression/sexism, and people who are already traumatized sexually. It seems incredibly risky in terms of reinforcing trauma to require someone who has been trespassed upon to sit down with the person that was exerting inappropriate power over them to discuss. If the victim has a history of being sexually abused, experiencing domestic abuse, or has other sexual trauma, the power dynamics become even more fraught.  Requiring a path to forgiveness also seems to prioritize conformance and an end point of a smooth surface function over deeper justice and healing, and ignores the implications of trauma experience on the congregants. How would you integrate justice and healing in such a way that reconciliation and forgiveness were outcomes instead of destinations? 

134 words

In reply to Michael Byrd

by Deleted user -

Mike, you definitely took on the "tough" case study.  This is a "delicate" situation and one that can so easily be mishandled.  Having denominational handbooks, policies and governing bodies as resources on which to draw helps to guide pastors and lay leadership in these situations.  You cite two key points -- confidentiality and witnesses.  Confidentiality in matters such as this is extremely important, Regretfully, I've observed situations where some have failed to follow those guidelines and that makes matters more difficult to handle and can have lasting consequences.  Witnesses are important as well.  It is amazing how different the recollection of conversations can be whether intentional or unintentional, having witnesses and documenting the meetings is very helpful, should there be a need to recollect the meeting at a later point in time.  

131 words

In reply to Michael Byrd

by Michael Wilson -

Mike,

Few people pick this one!  Well done thinking it through clearly.  The only thing I would add to this is that every congregation should have (for legal reasons) a sexual misconduct policy (Which you ask for here).  I think it is unlikely that a situation where you have an allegation of "sexual advances" is going to be resolved by sitting people down and having them talk to one another.  This will likely involve a more formal process (although there isn't enough information here to know that for sure).   I'd be in contact with an attorney in a case like this, and I'd like any judicatory know.

Well done.

109 words