Case Study Week 2 Forum

Johnson-Week 2 Case Study

Johnson-Week 2 Case Study

by Charlotte Johnson -

Case Study #2

This small group representation is not very cohesive and does not seem to have any idea of the process, rules, by-laws or experience in the task at hand.  Sam and Judy have developed a plan for the way they want to proceed, while Helen has no idea as to how the matter should be addressed.  There seems to be a good deal confusion among the committee members.

As the new Pastor, I would first want to know:

1- if anyone present has ever been involved in the election of officers of the church, whether here or elsewhere.  If so, what process what used

2-How did each of the persons present become members of the nominating committee and how long have they been in this position

3--Is there currently a list of people being considered, who composed the list, and who is on it

4-What vacancies are currently being considered and how long have they been vacant

5-What are the qualification/requirements for these offices

6-How many vacancies are there

7-Are we looking for the easy way or the correct way

8-Who called the meeting and who is the leader of this group

9-How urgent is the need to fill these positions

My next step would be to give them the established church guidelines for such circumstances and then reschedule the meeting after  they have gone over the procedure and have had a chance to answer any questions they may have regarding the process and I have evaluated or at least met with the people being considered as well as the members of the nomination committee.   

259 words

In reply to Charlotte Johnson

Re: Johnson-Week 2 Case Study

by Deleted user -

Charlotte, you would have done way more than I would have in that scenario. I would have only had 3 words for them. Church. By. Laws. Most baptist churches have them and they're pretty intricately spelled out regarding voting, who can vote, when they can vote how they can and for what. It would be difficult to understand why they were having so much trouble re: the vote when they likely wouldn't have needed the assistance of the pastor at all.

81 words

In reply to Charlotte Johnson

Re: Johnson-Week 2 Case Study

by Michael Byrd -

Charlotte, Great detail. I could also see this as an opportunity to introduce myself and go through the by-laws with the committee. Use this opportunity as a team building exercise and find ways bring everyone together for the goal of fulfilling the needed leaders. I agree that rescheduling the meeting for another date would work but to do the ground work together and being prepared for the meeting would show the people that as the Pastor you know what needs to be accomplished.

83 words

In reply to Charlotte Johnson

Re: Johnson-Week 2 Case Study

by Deleted user -
Charlotte,

I really like your idea of rescheduling the meeting so you have time to sort through things and get a better idea of what is happening.The questions that you would want to discuss are very appropriate and would be an excellent start. As a leader it is definitely a good idea to remind your leaders that rushing into nominations is definitely not a good idea. 

67 words

In reply to Charlotte Johnson

Re: Johnson-Week 2 Case Study

by Michael Wilson -

Great detailed work and response.  I think it is very insightful to have people "take a breath" and work on the process instead of rushing to decision making.

I would also be wondering, as I'm sure you were, about what this means for the rest of the congregation's functioning and how the congregation relates to one another and works together.

I think that your emphasis on process will pay off over the long haul.

74 words