Case Study Week 2 Forum

Mesias

Mesias

by Celso Mesias -

Case 1 Lancaster Community Church.

What dynamics do you observe?

It seems that the ship is going to sink, and a new captain appear to the rescue. 

Financial problems, declining membership, uncomfortable staff, the absence of officials in the first view, a multiple ethnics groups in a small congregation, etc. It shows a really messy reality as a Church has to be. 

A serious situation that shows an evident lack of leadership and teamwork; and poor management.

What other information would you want?

I listened carefully to Mary, Marjorie, Ralph (assuming all white) and Jose (hispanic) and perceived a preliminary state that nothing really good is going on.

As soon as possible updated reports in all the critical fields that I mentioned.

What would be your next step?

Meeting in two days with the Leadership Board I will ask the exact situation of the Church. Evaluate the reports together and define the central points to elaborate:

1 Emergency Plan. To survive. Taking care all the urgent issues.

2 Evangelism and Discipleship Plan. To grow and rebuild a new and fresh vision and mission to the Church.

A plan with two parts. First, to train 12 volunteers with some conditions and the desire to stay and be a leader, from the ethnic groups. The second part,  working in the implementation of a sustain Cell Home System, beyond the establishment of small groups. Based in the proposal that I bringing to grrow sistematicly, and open to disscuss and enrich it.

248 words

In reply to Celso Mesias

Re: Mesias

by Joseph Michael -

HI Celso,

I found your observation of the church as a sinking ship with a new captain to the rescue very insightful.  Would this dynamic be a part of the problem?  In other words, I wonder if part of what is occuring here is deeper than the need for new leadership and just atributing these problems to failures of leadership may obscure the deeper issues.  Alot of the concepts in the reading had to do with trying to understand why the church as an institution seems to be faltering.  Could your plan allow for restructuring the congregations missional maps to help address the deeper issues at play here?

108 words

In reply to Celso Mesias

Re: Mesias

by Deleted user -

I think you're right in assessing the need for more formation before making any descisions, but given the history of dishonesty between the church and the minister, how could you evaluate the truth of any new information you recieve?

39 words

In reply to Celso Mesias

Re: Mesias

by Michael Wilson -

Celso,

Good observations.  This is a tough situation.  I'd also encourage you to be aware, as part of our next steps, of the relational dynamics here.  You also not the possibility of cultural diversity -- which could make communication and understanding a lot of work.

In the words of Emotional Intelligence, this is going to take some social awareness and relationship management!

61 words

In reply to Celso Mesias

Re: Mesias

by Michael Wilson -

Celso,

61 words