Case Study Week 2 Forum

J. Michael - Case Study Week 2

J. Michael - Case Study Week 2

by Joseph Michael -
Number of replies: 3

I choose the Lancaster Community Church scenario.  There is a lot going on here.  In sum, I would say that this hearkens back to Roxburgh pg 42  “refusal to acknowledge the sea change all around us is precisely what is still happening in our churches and among our leaders.”  The specific key dynamics I see are: 

·       Financial constraints. 

·       Tensions over the style of worship. 

·       Ambiguity about how to relate to a changing community

·       Conflicts about priorities

·       Difficulty recognizing the current state of the congregation in the shadow of better days gone by (this is how I read the discrepancy between the church profile and my attendance count in the first item.  It would be plausible that summers have lower attendance if people are traveling)

The other information I would want would be on the seasonal changes in worship attendance, more details on the financial situation (particularly the endowment) and some insights about the current programs and activities of the church.  (What might be doing well and what might be doing poorly?)  Lastly, how does the community perceive of the church?

My next steps would be to gather as much information as I could and also begin to explore the spiritual identity of the church.  I would want to hear people’s stories and begin to understand how they perceive the situation.  This would help me understand their epistemologies which “has powerful implications for the way we live.”  When we have a different definitions of the situation driven by different ways of knowing we face tension and ambiguity.  By learning to understand and harmonize our epistemologies we could begin healing the discord and all start talking about the same thing. With this we could work toward discerning how God might have us to respond to the current state as it actually is as a healthy and whole body.

306 words

In reply to Joseph Michael

Re: J. Michael - Case Study Week 2

by Deleted user -
Joe you make an excellent point regard the communities perception of the church. I didn't even think about that. I saw them as potential members but didn't even consider whether or not they would want to attend based on what they might already feel about the church and involvement or lack of involvement in the community.

56 words

by Celso Mesias -

I would like to ramark your point at "Tensions over the style of worship." Definitely that is a key piece in the Church. It seems located in the city with all that diversity of membership, and with that small attendence, apparently with no important participation of Anglo Americans. So, an organist for 15 years, to that diversity of people, no way. She, also was open and suggested a change. Even, she maybe wasn't agree with the style of worship, just trying to keep the job and the same with the rest of the staff.

Worship is crucial, and that kind of membership I would say that they are expecting a change in the style, and  involving and participating in a new ministry of music and worship...I can guess, a contemporary and vibrant worship and service! A new light in the city! The light of Jesus!

146 words

by Michael Wilson -

Joe,

Good move to start by learning more of the underlying narratives of this congregation.  There is, indeed, a lot going on here.  Part of what will be interesting to discover is the history of how these people came to be in this congregation, what they think it means to be part of this particular group, and why they would work together to figure out all that it will take to have a healthy future.  Great connection to the reading, too.

81 words