Case Study Week 2 Forum

Shuba- case study week 2

Shuba- case study week 2

by Elizabeth Shuba -
Number of replies: 6

Most importantly it seems that there is a need for creating standards of practice and getting job descriptions from staff.  It seems that they have been subsisting without leadership or communication. I would ask staff to provide what each of them do to me so that I could have a universal perspective of the inner workings of the church. I would ask them to get that, if they are able, before the board meeting.  

I would ask for more information about the van; how is it used, does the church own it outright, what specific repairs need to be made to keep it on the road.  I would ask for a copy of the budget and more information of the details of the endowment. Were these funds restricted?  I would schedule meetings with both Mary and Jose at their earliest convenience. My response to Jose would be to assure him that we will figure this out together in an effort to illicit a feeling of trust and team building. 

I would let Marjorie know that I would love to speak more about her idea for a preschool after I have an opportunity to get a lay of the land.  In the meantime I would ask her to draw up a proposal for said preschool with some initial due diligence.

I would tell Ralph that I hear his concern.  I would then inform him that there is a board meeting in a couple of days where I hope to have a full picture of the church finances.  I would tell him that after the meeting I would have a better idea how to proceed and that I would need some time to formulate a plan with the board.  I would ask that he give me at least 2 weeks to do that work before scheduling a meeting with him.

308 words

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Shuba- case study week 2

by Deleted user -
"Lay of the land" - yes!  We need that before trying to make any decisions with this group.  I appreciate the questions you would ask - I found myself asking similar kinds of questions.  

You made me think about another question - that of past leadership experience.  Although not explicitly stated, I agree that this church lacks clear leadership vision.  I wonder, after reading your post, what this congregation has seen in terms of leadership from past clergy & since their last called pastor.  That could all shape how we need to respond now, too.

91 words

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Shuba- case study week 2

by Heather Petit -

Ah, see you were much more specific about who you would say what to (I didn't even get to that, and ... well, word count issues again, and I cut it down by half!).

Same concept though - don't try to steer anything just yet, find out what the conditions actually are first. I like that you looked at job descriptions. I didn't think of that (I did consider bylaws and policy, which might cover the jobs or might not).

78 words

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Shuba- case study week 2

by Beth Eustis -

Hi Shuba, What would you say to Mary?

Some food for thought...Would you really want a pre-school in your church? While it is good for income purposes (we have one in my church, and the rent they pay is about 15% of our income), there is no guarantee that any of those pre-school families would join the church. (None of the families in the pre-school in my church belong. Likewise, my kids went to pre-school in a church. It didn't even occur to me to think about attending there.) Also, what would Marjorie expect of you as pastor as far as this pre-school is concerned?

While I would certainly plan a financial strategy with the board, and I would want to ease Ralph's concerns, at the same time, I wouldn't want to be beholden to him. Who is this guy? Is he a big financial contributor? Would he pull his support if you don't do things his way?

159 words

In reply to Beth Eustis

Re: Shuba- case study week 2

by Elizabeth Shuba -
Hey Beth,

I believe I addressed Mary in the mention of staff getting me their responsibilities.  I couldn't possibly answer what would change before knowing what is.  As for the pre-school I directed her energy toward the due diligent in an effort to find feasibility and to give her ownership of the project.  As for Ralph, I played my hand the same way, ask for time to get my ducks in a row.  In all probability I would make a presentation to the church at large and not just him when I made my findings.  While I don't know who Ralph is, I do know his type. He wants to feel important and heard and I believe my response would handle both.

122 words

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Shuba- case study week 2

by Charlotte Johnson -

Shuba, when I read that particular case study I felt that they all wanted to feel important.  I believe that the new Pastor has been in attendance of the worship services and probably has an idea or two for what makes the service flow with ease as well as what would appeal to others not just the current organist.  The secretary needs to wait until he and the Pastor meet to discuss how they will handle the responsibilities of his office before making any statements that would make me feel like he is the one in charge around here.  As for Ralph, he did the right thing by leaving but I would have let him know that he needed an appointment and could not just barge in anytime he felt that he needed to vent.  A general church meeting with an established agenda would be my first order of business, so that all concerns could at least be voiced, including my own.

162 words

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Shuba- case study week 2

by Michael Wilson -

Shuba,

Great ideas -- this is lots of information to gather for this congregation!  Along the way, as I think you intend, you'll also hear the narratives of these people -- why they came to be part of this congregation, what they think is important here, the history that has shaped them.  This is the "social awareness" part of the EI work we'll be doing -- and I think it will be very helpful as you work towards shaping whatever the future holds here.

81 words