Case Study Week 2 Forum

D'heedene Week 2

D'heedene Week 2

by Zoe Dheedene -

Although I would need more information to base any of these assumptions, I’m perceiving a lack of honesty about the church’s development (indicated by the drastic difference in reported and observed attendance numbers) which I take to be rooted in fear. This fear seems to be rooted in three key (and somewhat contrasting) places. A fear of change (as demonstrated by Mary), a fear of destitution (Ralph), and a fear of stagnation (Jose & Marjorie).

As far as the individual concerns go, I would treat Mary and Ralph fairly similarly. I would express appreciation for their parts in worship leadership and accounting do my best to establish open lines of communication between us. If there is are applicable boards I would encourage them to join them, and if not I would goal to establish these committees. It seems that the van is something that would be best addressed within a group.

This seems like a church that is failing to accommodate any new ideas in order to embrace the community around them. Jose and Marjorie both seem to have hope and ambition for the congregation, but both also display some fear and even aggravation. Here, I would advocate for hope and realism. In both cases, I would encourage their long term goals by encouraging them to come up with manageable short term goals that point in the same direction. I would work with Marjorie to plan activities for the children of the community and speak with Jose about common goals and how we can achieve them without alienating our current members. I would work with Jose and any committees to establish structure in the office and open, effective lines of communication.

I would like to spend at least a portion of the leadership meeting getting more information on these topics and finding out how the individuals there perceive them affecting the congregation. However, I also think it’s important to spend time on what members see as the strengths of the church and avoid focusing solely on the perceived problems.

338 words

In reply to Zoe Dheedene

Re: D'heedene Week 2

by Michael Panzarella -

Zoe, I just wanted to add a note about the organist.  From Roxburgh's book (Missional Map-Making), he states that "equilibrium isn't always a good thing" and can lead "to a loss of awareness" and "vitality".(pg52)  While I would in know way 'rock the boat' or 'pull the rug out from under' Mary, I would assure her that we would continue to seek ways to ensure 'vitality' and sense of meaning in all we do.  At times this means adhering to tradition, but in other instances it might mean something new.  Any changes will be discussed well in advance and explained.  Most importantly, I would ask her to prayerfully consider the best components of the worship as well as what she might envision changing.  Perhaps, she has some ideas to improve worship since she has a long history with the church.  Certainly, some churches rely on tradition, and change may not be a necessity in any one specific area, but all people should be open to change and this fact should be gently brought to her early rather than late.  It could be more difficult to institute a change being an established priest with an established routine, as opposed to a new priest with no expectations.

Your last paragraph is so wise.  In the same way I would ask Mary about positives, doing so at the leadership meeting would be critical - for your own knowledge of what to build upon and as a reminder to the current members that there are not JUST problems here.

255 words

In reply to Zoe Dheedene

Re: D'heedene Week 2

by Michael Wilson -

Zoe,

Very insightful.  I think that the attention to the relational dynamics in this situation are going to be very important.  Underlying any particular technical situation is the way that these people communication to one another and their attitude about being a church.  Good job seeing ways that you can start to get at that information.

56 words