Case Study Week 2 Forum

Weston Case Study Week 2

Weston Case Study Week 2

by Coralis Weston -
Number of replies: 3

What dynamics do you observe?

The members of this church seems lost and unorganized. They lack direction and boundaries. The change in the number of members seems like they are either not realistic about their state or they lack the office management to identify who in the roster still a member of the church. The latter could be because office staff lacks direction. They are not good stewards as they have not handle repairs and finances in an effective way.

What other information would you want?

As a Pastor I would like to know the following;

1.      Board of Directors- Who is in the board of director and their duties
Bylaws- What does the bylaws state about membership roster?
Finances- I would like to see a financial report of profit and loss for the past year.
Church Responsibilities- I would like to know what are the church bills and the amount to be paid to each vendor.
Current procedures- I would like to know what procedures are being followed if any and who carry out the tasks.
Order of worship followed currently and what was before the current state.

What would be your next steps?

1.      I would like to do a demographic survey the neighborhood. For example number of kids per household, age of the residents, occupations, etc.
2.      Review the information provided on the previous answer to make a plan.
3.      Have a meeting with the congregation and survey them. To find out what is working according to them and what is not. I would also like to know what the congregants would like to see in the future.
4.      Create a committee to help carry out a strategic plan for the church.

289 words

In reply to Coralis Weston

Re: Weston Case Study Week 2

by Michael Byrd -

Coralis, It sounds like you have done this before. Very detailed and I really like the next steps as to the demographic surveys of the neighborhood. This was very helpful to me in my first charge. Understanding the community is vital in church growth and truly assists in the organization of the church. I would also add that scripture tells us that where there is no vision people will parish. The leadership or Pastor must cast that vision and the people need a strategic plan to make it happen.

89 words

by Deleted user -

It seems like you have a good handle on specific tasks that need to be accomplished. How would you navigate the relationship with the people involved. Is how they approached the minister telling you something about how they see themselves and the congregation?

43 words

by Michael Wilson -

Coralis,

Really good analysis.  The other piece I would encourage you to add to this is the "social awareness" from the EI work we'll be doing.  Part of the work here will also need to address the relationships between the people involved here -- they don't seem to be doing a very good job of listening to one another and feeling connected to the "whole."  That will need to shift as well as the programmatic pieces that you identify.

78 words