Case Study Week 2 Forum

Waters - Case Study - Week 2

Waters - Case Study - Week 2

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 4

Lancaster Community Church

Initially, I observe various members of the church community acting independently of the church as a whole.  With the available information, I cannot yet tell if these are all larger issues, or just personal concerns of individuals.  Moreover, I do not know enough about any one of the topics to have a clear path forward. 

As the newly-called pastor at Lancaster Community Church, I will assume some degree of honeymoon period with my congregation.  I have already made a list of (6-7) items that need to be addressed – eventually.  If this list represents my concerns in totality, then I have plenty to discuss with my Leadership board in two days.  That conversation is my next step.

Since nothing on the list is life threatening, I can introduce this collection of concerns to my Leadership Board as my ongoing agenda.  I can utilize the resources of the Board to better understand the history of each item, as well as get a sense for the congregation’s sense of call in each area.  For example, maybe the Board is well prepared to sell/donate the van to reduce expenses.  However, picking up a dozen or so members each week for worship may be an important ministry of the church.

As the new guy, I need to tread lightly for a period of time – perhaps several months or more – to understand our current topography prior to diving into problem-solving mode on any particular item.  My gut reaction is that new leadership expectations need to be set.  However, aside from issues that present as safety/health related, I need to be patient enough to understand what I believe to be problems. 

This approach will allow me to build consensus with leadership and – hopefully – the congregation.  This consensus will then allow me to delegate ownership of specific items to members of the church community.  Ultimately, that kind of ownership is a healthy step towards sharing leadership with the pastor.

326 words

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Waters - Case Study - Week 2

by Betsy McGeorge -

Matthew,

This sounds like a good strategy, to bring your concerns to the meeting to find out where they stand with these items. Setting expectations right up front is definitely a priority as it appears that several people are looking to the new pastor to be a fix-it person.

49 words

In reply to Deleted user

by Beth Eustis -

Hi Matt, I like how you said that nothing is life threatening. You have a laid-back, relaxed approach. The idea of the congregation "sharing leadership with the pastor" is great. A lot of people believe the pastor is supposed to do it all, because the pastor has the inside track to God. Delegating things to members of your congregation is a very smart move. I have been on both sides of the coin and can see the pros and cons of both. Micro-managers can be too controlling, drive people crazy and burn out. Pastors who delegate but don't keep on top of what's going on can find his volunteers slacking off and the work of the church won't get done. It's also really hard to actually get people to delegate things TO.

132 words

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Matt, it is interesting that your first observation was the independent acting by various people within the church community -- staff and congregation.  As the new pastor experiencing this situation I would be looking for dynamics within the congregation.  I've observed first hand what can happen within a congregation when there is a change in pastors, sometimes some very interesting and unexpected dynamics surface.   It seems as if Ralph is not likely to give the new pastor a honeymoon period, do you think Ralph's behavior is indicative of the congregation or is he an exception?  

94 words

In reply to Deleted user

by Michael Wilson -

Matt -- you approach this with exactly the calm a situation like this needs.  If the pastor gets anxious/excited, it will only raise the temperature around these issues and create more turmoil.  Learning the narratives, listening to people, and shaping the future together -- that's the key here.  One interesting piece of this is that you will have some highly anxious visits from the people introduced here, because some of them want quite a bit of action!

Well done.

78 words