Case Study Week 2 Forum

Panzarella: Case Study Week 2

Panzarella: Case Study Week 2

by Michael Panzarella -
Number of replies: 5

Case Study #1, Week 2

What dynamics do you observe?

Based on the Church Information Form, the church administration does not appear to have an accurate, or at least up-to-date, assessment of its own congregation.  Dipping into the endowment fund indicates a big financial problem, be it mismanagement of monetary funds or embezzling.  The organist fears change, while the secretary seeks change to improve a perceived lack of focus for the church, at least administratively.  There may be some integration issues in conjunction with changing demographics of the area.  Marjorie seems enthusiastic for the future of the church, identifying them as the children of the newly evolving demographic population.  Ralph’s concerns seem to support Jose’s frustration, but focus more on the financial issues, which points toward problems in the use of the endowment.

Overall, there are people who specifically seek change, while others seek comfort in stability, even amidst the changing demographics of the surrounding population.  Based on the Emotional Intelligence 2.0 book’s attributes, the qualities that would most be needed here are “social awareness” and “relationship management” in order to delve to the root of many of these issues.(pg 136, 177)

What other information would you want?  What would be your next steps?

These questions I would group together.  A large part of my next steps would be gathering information and speaking with the individuals, but reminding them it is an evolving conversation.  As Roxburgh suggests in Missional Map-Making, creating a new clear cut map may not be the key, nor would throwing everything existing out the window.  However, assuring them that there is no drastic imminent changes, like to the organist’s order, until major monetary issues are resolved.  Even if there may be changes, I would first invite the organist to offer suggestions if she feels changes are needed.  Bradberry and Greaves describe the qualities of Gail (pg 46) in her ability to read people “to make situations better” and, most importantly, the self-awareness of Dave (pg 28) in that he “took extra care to diagnose the situation.”  These indicate important emotional qualities to be applied toward the situation.  In discussions, I would seek to learn details about the congregation and if the numbers are outdated or people attend service sporadically or perhaps participate in church in other areas.  I would delve quickly into the finances to determine what the situation is and use Ralph as a resource.  He appeared genuinely concerned and may have some important insight.  I would meet with Marjorie and encourage her enthusiasm in starting a preschool.  I would determine the impact on the church’s finances or space usage.  All of these items, I would discuss with the Leadership Board to keep open communication on all issues.  I would not address in terms of blame, but how to address the situation we are in presently.  This should lead to alleviation of concerns for Jose and Ralph, and perhaps encourage Marjorie on her next steps.  I would also determine the need or usage of the van and see if it is an expense necessary to the church.  I would also meet with Mary personally to discuss her successes as an organist.  Lastly, I would start and end all of my meetings with prayer to remind all of us that we are working toward God’s mission.

550 words

In reply to Michael Panzarella

Re: Panzarella: Case Study Week 2

by Elizabeth Shuba -

I so appreciate you emphasis on not making too many changes to quickly.   I also agree with inviting staff to be part of the process in an effort to have them be on board with whatever changes do come.  I would also add to have them be a part of understanding the history of the church and how they have witnessed the road to where it is now.

68 words

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Panzarella: Case Study Week 2

by Michael Panzarella -

My personal belief is that a system operating is functioning from the people in it, for good or folly.  When a new leader comes in and makes fast and drastic changes means that those changes are now shouldered by the only person with them in mind... the new leader.  In that case, the changes need to be driven by the leader, which is draining physically and psychologically.  The hope would be after the current group assimilates, the leader will bear the brunt of effort on behalf of everyone.  And that is only IF they actually do assimilate and take ownership over the new path/direction.  Helping people to assimilate means to introduce changes or work toward changes on their own hearts.  

(Just re-supporting why I believe change should be slow and involve those affected.)

134 words

In reply to Michael Panzarella

Re: Panzarella: Case Study Week 2

by Michael Wilson -

Yes,  excellent insight.  Quick changes from the new leader to the system often means that the system will make a quick change.....removing the new leader.  So you are wise to go slowly here.  Well done.

36 words

In reply to Michael Panzarella

Re: Panzarella: Case Study Week 2

by Coralis Weston -

You have a sound plan and I like it. I think assuring someone of slight but not drastic changes is important. Prioritizing the financials is a great move as this will keep the church doors open. I am though a bit on the fence when it comes to changes in leadership and vision. I am in a church in which we were almost as lost as this one. The new Pastor started a lot of changes and restructure. It works for couple of months then it dies down. I was not there when they were in the transition I started a year after and still now going in 3 years the changes keep coming. I guess I am saying all this to say that small changes and couple of them at a time might be way better than drastic changes and I agree with you on that.

147 words

In reply to Michael Panzarella

Re: Panzarella: Case Study Week 2

by Michael Wilson -

Excellent insights -- and good relationship to the readings we are doing.  It's difficult to get at given that it is a case study, but I think the Emotional Intelligence dynamics of self-awareness and self-management will also be important here -- because a person having just moved and encountering this much turmoil would need to be aware of any anxiety, fear, anger that could come up inside oneself, based on the fragility of this system.

This is certainly a place where attention to relationship will matter -- because it doesn't look like these people work very well together!

95 words