What have you learned?

Mesias_Week 10 Quotes

Mesias_Week 10 Quotes

by Celso Mesias -
Number of replies: 2

"Explain Your Decisions, Don't Just Make Them", from Emotional Intelligence 2.0  (p.208).

In Relationship Management Strategies, this concept remains how important is to develop this principle and skill. The temptation to act quickly and making changes without explaining the decisions and even alternatives, could affect and even impact negatively to everyone, instead of expecting the acceptance and good for others.

Transparency and Openness is what I learned. Is a must for seeking trust, respect, and participation of the people who I lead.

"One of the distinguishing qualities of successful people who lead in any field is the emphasis they place on personal relationships", from Leadership on the Line, by Ronald A. Heifetz and Marty Linsky, (p.75)

Every leader wants to be successful, but if something is wrong we have to pay attention or review our emphasis in our personal relationships. Heifetz shows how politicians think and act without controlling, instead, how  the nature and quality of connections, and networks of people have with each other it is very important in the determination of results, and at the end succeed in our leadership.

In reply to Celso Mesias

Re: Mesias_Week 10 Quotes

by Michael Panzarella -

Celso,

I agree with the meaning you identify in the first quote.  This concept struck a chord with me; it also made me contemplate the timing of explaining ones decisions in an effort to build trust.  Explanations should precede the action taken as a course of a decision where possible.  I also believe it may be possible that the explanation leads to a conversation, and in the conversation some greater awareness might develop to fine tune a potential course of action.  All in all, this quote certainly pulls away from a dictator-style of leadership into one in which the leader truly wants to work WITH and ALONG SIDE those s/he serves.

Your second quote, to me, links to the first.  In those conversations, we take time to slow down and hear people by truly listening to them.  This concept certainly draws out the value of individuals and the relationship that connects them to the organization or the leader.

In reply to Celso Mesias

Re: Mesias_Week 10 Quotes

by Michael Byrd -

Celso,

Your first quote I totally agree with you and use the same methodology. Trust and confidence is paramount for any organization to achieve their goals. I've seen this so many times throughout my career in the military and in the church. It seems we often spend more time repairing or restoring relationships than growing them due to haste decision making. Thanks for sharing.