What have you learned?

Sharp_Week 10

Sharp_Week 10

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

It really is hard to pick just two....

“The daily challenge of dealing effectively with emotions is critical to the human condition because our brains are hard-wired to give emotions the upper hand.”  (Emotional Intelligence 2.0, p.6)

“Only 36 percent of the people we tested are able to accurately identify their emotions as they happen.  This means that two thirds of us are typically controlled by our emotions and are not yet skilled at spotting them and using them to our benefit.  Emotional awareness and understanding are not taught in school.  We enter the workforce knowing how to read, write and report on bodies of knowledge, but too often, we lack the skills to manage our emotions in the heat of the challenging problems we face.  Good decisions require far more than factual knowledge.  They are made using self-knowledge and emotional mastery when they’re needed most.”  (Emotional Intelligence 2.0, p 13-14)

As leaders we need to keep our emotions in-check.  I have observed a number of good people lose their temper or be so caught up in their emotions that they are unable to lead.  Often times these become career limiting events.  Through the reading we’ve done and class discussions, we will be leading in challenging times.  It is important for the work we have to do to be self-aware and to practice emotional mastery in those difficult and trying times.

“Humility is not about putting oneself down or placing disproportionate focus on one’s weaknesses.  Humility is synonymous with being honest about oneself.  It involves acknowledging those good, affirming moments in our day as well as the challenging, quaking ones.  It requires knowing our gifts and strengths and successes and knowing our weaknesses and growing edges.  It implies being willing to present the most accurate representation of oneself whenever possible, aware that there may be even more to our true selves that we have yet to learn.”   (Redeeming Administration, p. 85)

As leaders we do set examples for others and set the tone for interactions in our groups, organizations and communities.  We all have strengths and weaknesses, we do some things right and sometimes we do things wrong.  The ability to both acknowledge those weaknesses and wrongs is important not only for ourselves, but also fosters an environment in which others can do the same and feel comfortable in doing so. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Sharp_Week 10

by Charlotte Johnson -

Carol, Your second quote spoke volumes to me, I even used it in my paper.  As leaders we must own our mistakes and use them as lessons in our own practices.  We often don't give ourselves enough credit for trying, instead we focus on what did not go right.  How can we grow as leaders if we do not embrace humility and be honest about where we struggle in our roles.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Sharp_Week 10

by Michael Byrd -

Carol, Thank you for your response about humility. As good leaders we should set the example and when we are wrong promptly admit it and when we are right give thanks to those who helped us along the way. There are far to many people who point the fingers at others or a process and never become part of the solution. Some are never wrong and take credit for all that goes right. I believe people see through the dishonesty and show a false sense of allegiance or following. Respect is earned not given and it all starts by being aware of our true selves and not being afraid to say I made a mistake. Thank you for sharing.