What have you learned?

Byrd Week 10

Byrd Week 10

by Michael Byrd -
Number of replies: 3

First Quote: "As well meaning as family, friends, and church members try to be, they are not responsible for setting aside enough time for your personal replenishment; you are! (Page 38, Rest in the Storm)

This quote spoke directly to me as this has helped me grow as a leader. If I continue to rely on everyone else to set my personal replenishment I will dry up. I am a workaholic and have gone down this path before. This book and this quote is a reminder that I am in charge and I need to have set boundaries as well as external activities other than ministry.  

Second Quote: " In essence, the goal is to slow yourself down and take in all that is in front of you, allowing your brain to process all available information before you act." (Page 75-76 Emotional Intelligence 2.0)

Before acting on anything I have learned to let it sink in. There are many ways to accomplish the task at hand and thinking it through has truly been something that has helped me grow as a leader. Processing all the available information at hand and working together with everyone achieves more. There are times I nee to make quick decisions but this quote has allowed me to slow things down.  

In reply to Michael Byrd

Re: Byrd Week 10

by Charlotte Johnson -

Mike, I love your first quote, it reminds me that I need to say NO, more often than I do. Saying no would allow me to set aside time for replenishment and not give that task to others.

In reply to Michael Byrd

Re: Byrd Week 10

by Heather Petit -

What I see in both these quotes are the opportunity to own your personal authority as a person. It's your personhood that is the vessel for your ministry, and tending to yourself as a regular human is essential. Slowing down is also a way to honor the way our physiological self functions, and respect the embodiment of the holy that we represent as children of the Divine, not just the holy in the embodiment. 

In reply to Michael Byrd

Re: Byrd Week 10

by Celso Mesias -

Yes Mike. The necessity sometimes for getting to the back of the boat in the navigation of life. Sinking the boat is like failing in our leadership, and not trying to save children and women first! can help us either. We are the captain, we are in charge, including our necessary personal replenishment. Those boundaries that you mentioned mark the balance that we need, for the good of everyone. I appreciate for sharing and reminding this lesson of the book of Kirk B. Jones.