What have you learned?

Waters - Week 10 Quotes

Waters - Week 10 Quotes

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

My lasting impression of this class will be of Emotional Intelligence.  EI, for whatever reason, appeals to my sense of logic and pragmatic leadership more than the other flavors of personality inventories I’ve taken through the years.  With its focus on an extra processing step prior to reaction, it’s really not news.  “You do control the thoughts that follow an emotion, and you have a great deal of say in how you react to an emotion—as long as you are aware of it,”
 (Kindle Locations 330-331).  This line forms a thesis; it names a helpful (necessary?) component to productive human interaction.  Where other inventories create awareness, EI’s emphasis on ongoing self-awareness makes it a more useful tool for me. 

Borda writes in Salsa, Soul, and SpiritThe realization of full democracy includes the vision of a pluralistic society,” (p. 3).  I recognize a certain inevitability to that notion; recently, discomfort with “the other” has dominated discussion.  However, as the world shrinks and we encounter each other more broadly, homogeneity will be reduced to increasingly shrinking pools of population.  While we may need to be aware of lingering hesitancy towards the unfamiliar, we are certainly called to prepare for service to an increasingly diverse community.  

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Waters - Week 10 Quotes

by Deleted user -

Salsa soul and spirit was one of my favorite readings for this course. I appreciate your recognition that the world is ever shrinking thereby necessitating our need to interact with those of differing hues and worldviews. While you express that we are called to prepare for service to an increasingly diverse community, do feel that has always been the responsibility of those in ministry? 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Waters - Week 10 Quotes

by Deleted user -

You know, I do - but here's my guess (completely unscientific):  churches as communities are so segregated - by everything from race to sense of mission - that the needs of each group draw clergy inward & away from those who are different.  I think pastors get caught up in the echo chambers of faith communities who are hyper-focused on their own special needs.  Even as this need to interact with different peoples increases, churches are increasingly boutique faith experiences.