What have you learned?

Jeffrey Caldwell - Final Post

Jeffrey Caldwell - Final Post

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

"Many Ministers, including those just beginning and those nearing the conclusion of their careers, lead lives characterized by overload and hurry. (Rest in the Storm 4).

I chose this passage because I think it speaks not only to the lives of ministers but to our society as a whole. Too often we equate busyness with usefulness. We arrange our work and family lives so everyone is dependent on us, because ultimately we crave control and the feeling of being needed. We want to be indispensable, that way we know that we will always have a place. 

"Yet despite all the religious mandates, much of mainstream America today is more concerned about personal accumulation than the welfare of their neighbors (Salsa, Soul, And Spirit 69)."

I think this quote speaks to one of the main conflict areas in most churches, whether ministry should be focused inward on the members of the church community or outwardly on the larger community. Materialism and the cult of personal achievement, can distract us from our calling to be servant in our community

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Jeffrey Caldwell - Final Post

by Coralis Weston -
Jeff your take on the first quote by making this statement “we equate busyness with usefulness” made me ponder. It reminds me of times I have been so busy but still feel that there is nothing I accomplished.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Jeffrey Caldwell - Final Post

by Heather Petit -
These quotes both call to me in a way that asks 'so now what?' - what is it that we need to do in ministry to answer the busy and hurry, and to counteract the self-centered accumulation and hoarding of resources we see in the world? I suspect the answer is a life's work, but these both struck me as areas in need of ministry, not just as distractions and issues we deal with as ministers. 
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Jeffrey Caldwell - Final Post

by Celso Mesias -

Right Jeffrey. The facts are so serious matters according to Juana Bordas, Salsa, Soul and Spirit. In United States 15% of the population live below the poverty. African American and Hispanics are the most with 27.4 and 26.6 respectively. In contrast to the eagerness and capitalist acumen, with that materialism and the cult of personal achievement that you mentioned, have led to a general crisis. That's why Bordas explores new courses  remarking what Raul Izaguirre says "Embracing the Latino values of generosity and helping one another would heal many of the divisions in America...Perhaps the solution is for the rest of Americans to become more courteous, community-minded, and generous".