What have you learned?

shuba week 10

shuba week 10

by Elizabeth Shuba -

"What we can not acknowledge, we can not address." 

Dr Marylin Sanders Mobley, TEDtalk, Case Western University, OH, 2013

Though not from the readings, Dr Sanders Mobley's quote has effected me profoundly.  I continue to process the depth of its meaning.  Though, Sanders Mobley's thought provoking TEDtalk was focused on diversity, this quote is applicable to all elements of leadership.  Any element left to fester will kill an organization over time.

Though not a quote, I thought the passage that Dr Lytch read from her book, "Choosing Church, What Makes a Difference to Teens" about the banana exercise and and how she didn't want to do it, and was uncomfortable, but then realized that it was orchestrated to build trust with in the group to do the real work.  This echoed nicely the third and seventh spiritual habit from Garrido's book "Redeeming Administration."

Ann M. Garrido, Redeeming Administration, (Ave Maria, Indiana),2013

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: shuba week 10

by Deleted user -

Shuba:  I appreciated your quotes and found them interesting.  The quote from Dr Sanders Mobley is sort of alarming as it calls us to be ever mindful and aware.  The failure of missing something can have lasting impact.  It reminds me of the "unknown unknowns."  How can we recognize those things that we are having difficulty acknowledging?  

Your mention of Ann Garrido's spiritual habits of trust (#3) and courage (#7) was an interesting connection with Dr. Lytch's story.  In our reading this week Roxburgh's discussion of the practice of hospitality notes "Modernity was birthed in suspicion, and we are socialized to be suspicious of everyone outside a small circle of people."  (Roxburgh, p. 155).   This observation certainly creates a tension with the spiritual habit of trust.  

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: shuba week 10

by Deleted user -

Dr. Mobley's quote is one of those simple truths rife with profundity. The statement that makes perfect sense yet makes you wonder why such statements aren't resting at the forefront of your mind until someone says it. I t's also the statement that makes you ask yourself what is it that I am not acknowledging about myself or about others in my life or about how I treat others. 

Oddly, I don't recall the banana exercise. crickets. I have nothing. but I love you though.