Discussion for Week 8

Waters - Week 8

Waters - Week 8

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

Dr. Hanson’s HEAL method raises several implications for ministry – both for practice and for self-care.  As it relates to practice, this approach can be used to coach and council people towards more grateful worldviews.  As described by Dr. Epperly’s article, that sense of gratitude is the essence of worshipful living.  By teaching our congregations ways of recognizing and internalizing moments of gratitude, we can help strengthen their faith lives. 

For self-care during ministry, this approach may help soothe the many frustrating moments by giving more weight to moments of joy.  We can allow ourselves to be lifted up by the highs of baptisms and moving worship as counterweights to the many instances of discontent that church families must work through.  Especially with the negative bias described during the TED talk, this approach would contribute to a more balanced view of our efforts.    

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Waters - Week 8

by Deleted user -

Matthew,

I appreciate your point of view of how Dr. Hansons HEAL method can have implications for ministry. I did not think of it the same way you did but the way you view it is very practical and you make some good points. I personally thought this method goes hand in hand with The article by Hendrix "Stay in the Canoe and Keep Paddling" . You would almost have to have an attitude of gratitude for relationships in order to practice the process of dialogue that Hendrix talks about. It also goes well with the video Capturing a happy moment and holding on to it for a dozen or so seconds. Trying to see things through the eyes of gratitude would definitely helps us capture those happy moments that the speaker discusses in the video. Thank you for sharing your insight I enjoyed reading your post. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Waters - Week 8

by Celso Mesias -

They are two important dimensions for happiness, one psychologically  from Dr. Hanson and the another one spiritual from Dr. Epperly. Both two methods are so valuable to consider for our ministries.

I'm agree with you, how we want to help healing others if we can not first heal ourselves, building and sharing happiness; and living in permanent gratitude, focused in all the blessings that we got, instead complaining for the things that we don't have and adverse circumstances.

A happy and grateful leader, a happy and grateful family, a happy and grateful Church, a happy and grateful community...a different and better world!

Thanks Matt.