Discussion for Week 8

Petit - Week 8

Petit - Week 8

by Heather Petit -

The idea of using your mind to change your brain in order to overcome negativity bias (Hardwiring Happiness: the TED talk) fascinates me. 

The general technique is this: Either in the moment of a good experience or by recalling a good experience. Then, hold it in your mind for 10-20 seconds, letting yourself sink into it, relax into it. Allow it to be absorbed. And then if you want to, you can also use this positive memory to merge into/work with a negative memory, which will gradually shift the negative toward positive. 

I find this fascinating because it turns out that I have been doing this without knowing that was what I was doing, for a long time. I learned probably 20 years ago that focusing intentionally on the positive experiences set me up to look for more positive experiences. I had read a study at some point that showed that people who were looking for positive experiences encountered them 25% more often than people who were expecting negative experiences. Most of that was simply because positive people were observing and assessing the opportunities for potential positives, first, and so they saw them instead of missing the subtle ones. 

So, I decided to always be looking for the positives. In order to remind myself to do so, I'd fish through my day mentally and find as many positive experiences as I could, and turn them over in my mind, enjoy them, even if they were blips or small moments. Eventually, I started taking negative moments and looking for positives that were tied to them in some way, like someone helping me pick up the broken bits of a cherished mug I broke, and being sympathetic about it. It wasn't 'oh, I broke my favorite mug, that sucked (and background, yeah, okay someone helped me with that, but it still sucked!)', but instead I shifted intentionally to 'I was having a hard time and someone was really kind. I'm bummed about my mug, but hey, people stopped and helped, and that mattered!' 

This is such an ingrained habit now that when I'm telling people about the auto accident where I broke my sternum - and was pretty high risk for dying right then, and spent a lot of time in pain both then and later - what comes out is more 'my boss is awesome, (in the time I was most likely to die without warning and had to just live with the fear because there was not a blessed thing I could do about it) he stayed on the phone with me so someone who cared about me would be there with me if the worst happened', or 'After the first three seconds, I knew my worst risk was past, AWESOME! (even though I hadn't made it out of the car yet and was still overwhelmed and very rattled)'. or 'wow, the bystanders (who helped me get out of my still smoking wreck of a car that I'd just bought a couple months ago) were incredibly helpful!' ... etc. I know I used to approach everything from a worst case catastrophe perspective, but now I can't imagine approaching life in any other way. Even though I don't at all think 'everything happens for a reason', I am always mining the things that happen for things that are useful, kind, good, reassuring, loving, creative, etc.  

In reply to Heather Petit

Re: Petit - Week 8

by Joseph Michael -

I think this concept of "H.E.A.L." may also be powerful in a community setting in your leadership. Leading people in this type of mindfulness may help them build constructive and honest missional maps. This type of awareness can change how they know what they know and the stories they tell about the life of the community. 

In reply to Joseph Michael

Re: Petit - Week 8

by Heather Petit -

Ooh. I'm working on a sermon about wayfinding, and the idea of using this tool to intentionally as a way to build different narratives, and to change the 'how do we know what we know' part is intriguing. 

In reply to Heather Petit

Re: Petit - Week 8

by Betsy McGeorge -
Heather, although you told me this story on Saturday, I am once again moved by your boss' response. In trying to find an appropriate response tied in with our readings, I expected to find it in Redeeming Administration, but found that Emotional Intelligence 2.0 is the better reference. I believe what your boss has demonstrated is a good amount of Relationship Management, which is described on page 44 as "your ability to use your awareness of your own emotions and those of others to manage interactions successfully." My understanding of relationship management from the reading is that you would have to score quite well in both self-awareness and social-awareness in order to score high in relationship management, so I'm guessing that your boss is quite the leader!