Discussion for Week 8

Weston _Week 8

Weston _Week 8

by Coralis Weston -
Number of replies: 4

While the reading was great the video was very interesting to me. The Negativity Bias was a very interesting point. To think that we have full control of our experiences and feelings and that we can train our brain to use the best of the good experiences to offset the bad is fascinating to me. This is a great tool for a leader. If we can practice the H.E.A.L. process and teach that to others we can help others see the potential of any situation. One of the worse roadblocks for leaders in my opinion is those who allow bad experiences set them back and put them at a standstill due to fear. But if we take that and “link the positive experience with the negative” we can help them move again. This makes me be in awe of God and the way in which the human body is designed.  It also gives me hope for the future.  But if you think about it theologically we have taken a bad experience like the crucifixion and linked the good news of salvation making the entire event one that we remember always and give us hope for the future.

In reply to Coralis Weston

Re: Weston _Week 8

by Michael Panzarella -

Coralis,

I am on the fence with the video.  I agree with you, the concept that we can "offset the bad" by focusing on the good moments does intrigue me.  The presenter did say the concept was founded in neuroscience, but I struggle to find facts that point to the science of it.  Following this line of thought, part of my likens his method to trying to tell someone who is unhappy to just make themselves happy.  That is clearly the analytical and skeptical side of me.  I am also one who understands patience in a long term process as I have learned with run training.  In that light, his HEAL method seems intriguing enough to try.  Certainly there is no harm in spending more time in the day focused on happy thoughts!  The elevated concept of linking positive and negative thoughts to replace the negative seems extremely treacherous and could even have the opposite effect if this replacement concept can work.  Again, here I would wonder where the proof is to show this happens.  You, however, have provided a strong example that could argue the replacement theory works.  I say 'could' because one might argue that the salvation is tied to the crucifixion and does not substitute it; meaning that salvation would not have been given without the crucifixion.  I do not believe our goal should be to rid ourselves of negative thoughts.  Many provide useful motivation or learning experiences for us and we only retain the 'lesson' when we remember the moment.  I see more layers in the process than the video discussed.  Ultimately, I would agree with you on the point that your third sentence makes based predominantly on the premise that thinking about good things a bit longer, as the video discussed, to move those emotions from short term memory to long term memory could only benefit us. 

by Deleted user -

Corey, that is truly keen insight regarding the connection between the cross and the good news. I would agree that when we focus on the gospel we do in essence remove the sting of such a tragic event which causes us to respond with gratitude versus responding with the horror such an event would warrant. I'll be pondering this insight for a while.

by Heather Petit -

As someone who is a fan of this method (and someone who has used it repeatedly for a long span of time), I'm really glad you brought up the crucifixion... because that's something I personally would have a struggle with merging into a good thing. I want that to maintain the power of the negative experience, and not have it too much overlaid with a positive. I'd rather the good and bad in the story stay parallel tracks than one thing. (Granted, it's also not a huge thing for me, but given the power it has for Christians, I think moderating the trauma side of it might represent something of a loss for some people, too.) 

I wonder if using this can steal some of the depth from a negative experience, as well. Or using it too soon, perhaps? I'm now going to have to think about that, since it's completely automatic for me at this point! 

by Betsy McGeorge -

I too found a lot of value in this video and appreciated the part in the beginning where he first said that when he noticed something good happening, he would focus on that for a dozen or so seconds and realize it stuck. I think the concept of the negativity bias is reinforced in the chapter on Reflection in Redeeming Administration where the author says, "Once the critical eye has been turned on, it can be difficult to locate the off switch."