Discussion for Week 8

Sharp: Week 8

Sharp: Week 8

by Deleted user -

Pick one concept from the articles/video that Dr. Cox-Holmes has had you read/watch.  Describe it in your post and tell us why you find it interesting.  

In the TED Talk by Rick Hanson and in the article written by Bruce Epperly the point is made that we have some control over our outlook.  Their approaches are different, but both Hanson and Epperly argue that we have some control over our outlook and that having a positive outlook is not only makes us happier and healthier but leads to a more productive and fulfilling life. 

In his talk, Hanson states that our brain has a negativity bias but that we can take control of this bias and start “taking in the good.”  The technique proposed by Hanson is “HEAL” which will allow for the gradual accumulation of “good things” that will replace the bad/negative things stored in our brains. 

In his article, Epperly writes about the transforming power of gratitude.  Gratitude, according to Epperly, is a matter of intentionality and action.   Once again, this is within our control to have an attitude of gratitude – to focus on being grateful for the positive things in our lives.  According to Epperly this begins with our spiritual practices and flows outward into our interactions with others.  Epperly states that a “ministry filled with gratitude will transform the way you look at each day and inspire creativity.” 

What I find interesting is that both Hanson and Epperly focus on ways that we can take control and not let negativity overwhelm us but instead focus on the good things and be grateful and the positive influence that this brings to our work and to our lives.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Sharp: Week 8

by Deleted user -

I also saw the connection between Epperly and Hanson. I think there work on gratitude and outlook connect well with the self awareness integral to emotional intelligence. Being aware of out own thinking patterns and self talk can help us to beging to control how our minds are influencing our emotions. When we are able to train our own minds we can change how we let our emotions effect our interactions with others. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Sharp: Week 8

by Michael Byrd -

Carol, I also found that both Rick Hanson and Bruce Epperly focused on ways to be grateful and on the good and not be overwhelmed with the negative. I am a positive person so this was great for me to be able to go through a simple exercise such as HEAL and have a positive experience. I also agree with Epperly and that gratitude is an intentional action and I would add that it is from the heart and others would be changed from the inside if this is genuine. I believe that this positive influence will bring a change to our lives weather at work or our own lives. Thank you for sharing.