Discussion for Week 8

Caldwell - Week 8

Caldwell - Week 8

by Deleted user -

As I have grown through the past 2 1/2 years of seminary, I have made gratitude a larger and larger part of my spiritual practice. I first started this practice last year when I was a Ministerial Intern at Wellsprings Congregation in Chester Springs, Pennsylvania. A large part of my responsibilities in that position was to simply meet with congregants after the service. Sometimes those encounters were opportunities for pastoral care, a chance to comfort someone whose child was sick or who was experiencing a divorce. Othertimes they were just social visits, a chance to see how a congregants life was evolving and share in their joys. I felt gratitude in being to walk beside these people who were generous enough to share their lives with me. I later experienced that same gratitude while working as a chaplain intern at Lancaster General Hospital. There were fewer joys and more suffering among the patients I've visited with in the hospital, but I am always greatful for the willingness of my patients to share their stories with me. I have learned so much from their struggles, their courage and their resilience. I hope that as ling as I practice ministry, whether in the parish or in the hospital, I can continue to practice it with gratitude and integrity. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Caldwell - Week 8

by Charlotte Johnson -

I am always filled with gratitude after talking or dealing with patients whether in my professional practice or in my ministerial role.  With all that they are going through their resilience, faith and hope always leave me feeling grateful and humble for having met them in this capacity.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Caldwell - Week 8

by Michael Byrd -

Jeff, first of all thank you for your transparency within your post. I also agree that we can go through the motions during our visitations and ministry but to have a heart of gratitude is something that is very special. I also believe it is something that isn't done enough in ministry and that is why in my opinion people leave ministry roles as laity who serve. I understand that this is something that we should not deserve but yet it is so important in leadership. You have identified that by how people love to share there stories with you. Its a win-win situation that also helps you to understand the struggles that they are going through so you can minister to them in a way that is from the heart and genuine. Thank you for sharing.