Discussion for Week 8

Mesias_Week 8

Mesias_Week 8

by Celso Mesias -
Number of replies: 5

It's very interesting how the Neuropsychology and particularly Phd. Rick Hanson explain a method to turning passing experiences into lasting structures inside the brain, in hardwiring happiness.

Especially in today's world with all the stress that can overwhelm our lives; being frustrated, lack of confidence, depressed, with bad feelings, and other word unhappy. So, this method show us how passing mental states become lasting neural traits. We have to overcome the brain's hardwire negative bias that create weakness, and install in the brain all the positive experiences of kindness, compassion, confidence, etc., so we can heal ourselves by: 

HEAL. Have a positive experience. Enrich it. Absorb it, and an optional step, Link a positive and negative material. The result, you have it and enjoy it. You've got the happiness!

What I really remark more, is the thought at the end of his presentation with the question: "What is the most important minute in your life?" and his answer " It's the next one". And I think answering that question is a very good point of start to pursue a real happiness.

In contrast, or as a complement to that video are others powerful methods to happiness. The power of gratitude for example, when Bruce Epperly says "Gratitude reminds us of the chain of causes that makes everyday life possible...In the naming our blessings, we discover a new God's providence and creative activity in our lives, congregations, and the world".

Also, in the other article by Harville Hendrix, Stay in the Canoe & and Keep Paddling, he points the importance of empathy. This concept I think goes beyond the relationship between couples, it's more than that, a must to apply in our life to others. He says "Empathy is the most powerful bonding experience you can have...If you stay in the process, you will get to empathy, and then your problems will dissolve and the issues will disappear...The process is the solution to everything in a relationship...With repeated use over time, your relationship will change from dangerous to safe, and then you will have the relationship of your dreams". That is not happiness?

In reply to Celso Mesias

Re: Mesias_Week 8

by Deleted user -

Celso – I hear you describing intentional emotional and relational behavior.  Do you see the HEAL method reflecting facets of Emotional Intelligence?  The processes seem similar to me; rather than allow our natural reactions to dominate, we take that extra moment to do something with the stimuli we receive.  With EI, we are comparing our gut reactions to what we believe to be the best possible reactions.  With HEAL, we are being encouraged to program our brains by giving weight and lasting impact to positive experiences we may otherwise dismiss.  Do you also find those approaches complimentary?

In reply to Deleted user

by Celso Mesias -

That's right Matt, and thank you for sharing. I can see how those approaches are complimentary. HEAL focused individually, how our brain can work, and EI, a skill that how we can build and gain social awareness and better relationships, that at the end make us happier.

In reply to Celso Mesias

by Joseph Michael -

Your post also makes me consider emotional intelligence. The concept of empathy is very important to discerning how to relate to others as we may need to manage and lead interactions through our relationships. This is also useful for understanding our boundary conceptions. Feeling empathy and being aware of our feelings can guide us as we discover how our feelings may influence our interactions. 

In reply to Celso Mesias

by Deleted user -

Celso,

I have struggled through a tough time of healing for the past 10 yrs and especially for the last 5 years. I really appreciate that you pointed out Dr. Hanson's explanation of healing by installing all of the positive experiences of kindness, compassion, confidence etc. Most of the concepts in this weeks reading go against the popular messages of today's society. We would have to be intentional about holding on to the positive experiences and letting go of the negative. You are right I watched the presentation again after I read your post and was awe struck with the powerful question Dr. Hanson ends with and his answer to the question. What is the most important minute in your life? The next one! Wow what a concept. Thank you for sharing your insight reading your post helped me to grasp the concept even better.  

In reply to Deleted user

by Celso Mesias -

Thank you Heidi for that "next minute" replying to my post.

Blessings!