Reflections on Money and Leadership

Kearse: Money Matters

Kearse: Money Matters

by Deleted user -

1)  What is your earliest memory about money?

My earliest memory of money revolves around my visits to my grandparents home when I was a child. My grandfather would give me a quarter to do chores or errands. I addition he would give us soda bottle to take to the corner store and we were able to keep the deposit of 10 cents. Once I had my quarter and my deposit I was able to fill my pockets with penny candy.

2)  What is the core message about money you learned while in your formative (7-15) years?)

I grew up poor so there was really no money to discuss in my formative years. I understood of my own accord how to spend it but not how to save it or set some aside. I wasn't until I was 17 and caring for myself that I took money management courses and learned how to write checks, pay expenses and start a savings. As I pursued education, I became more financially literate.

3)  What do you think this will mean for you as a leader?

I think understanding how money works will be of benefit to me as a leader. In business, the bottom line is what matters most. How you increase the bottom line is where the work happens.  In ministry it is just as important to understand how much money is necessary to cover the annual expenses and how to be creative with regard to ensuring that those expenses are met. In addition, my academic background will be helpful with respect to creating revenue aside from the generosity of church members.