Reflections on Money and Leadership

Weston _ Week 6

Weston _ Week 6

by Coralis Weston -
Number of replies: 2

1)  What is your earliest memory about money? I remember my mother not having enough money to raise us. She was a single mom who worked as a teacher. I remember helping my mother making the list for the market and keeping track of our expenses when we went grocery shopping.

2)  What is the core message about money you learned while in your formative (7-15) years?) You should save and if you can’t pay for it now you don’t need it. This came as a good and a bad because I never had a credit card which made me have a hard time building a credit history.

3)  What do you think this will mean for you as a leader? I think that I need to learn more about money management. I do a pretty good job now but as a leader of a Church I need to be more in tune with the expenditures and the needs.

In reply to Coralis Weston

Re: Weston _ Week 6

by Charlotte Johnson -

Corey, I don't think we should ever stop learning about money management especially in economic times such as these.  If we become better managers of our resources then we are prepared for difficult times, at least I hope we are.

In reply to Coralis Weston

Re: Weston _ Week 6

by Celso Mesias -

Hi Corey. 

Definitely it was a great lesson from your mom the teaching "You should save and if you can't pay for it now you don't need it". It was similar what I got from mom too. And not too bad if you didn't get a credit card.  As we know, how easy is to fall in bad administration, handling credit cards and even dangerous without discipline and courage, getting financial problems, crisis and bad debt. So, could be worst. Now, it is better, they are many ways to start building a credit history and prepared with more experience in money management, developing your leadership in this area.

Thanks Corey.