Reflections on Money and Leadership

money and leadership

money and leadership

by Charlotte Johnson -
Number of replies: 3

My earliest memory about money is from my preteen and adolescent years related to a time when I began to form relationships with my peers and wanting to dress like them as well as go places with them such as the movies or rollerskating.  For my parents money was better spent on the home and education which was not the way I saw it at the time.

My father made it a point to instill in me as the eldest the importance of not only saving money for a rainy day, but the importance of having my own and not depending on someone else to provide for me.

As a leader this means that there should always be money in the bank so that when we want to accomplish certain goals we can do it without looking for loans, sponsors, or others who may want to have a says in what we are trying to accomplish

In reply to Charlotte Johnson

Re: money and leadership

by Beth Eustis -

Charlotte, I like how your father instilled a sense of independence in you. I haven't had that in my life, and to be financially dependent on someone else is scary. In a church setting, I wonder how to go about having enough money not just to run a church but to have some extra reserves in case of an emergency? Where does that money come from?

In reply to Charlotte Johnson

Re: money and leadership

by Heather Petit -

I am curious about how the independence and ownership of money responsibility affects your comfort level with asking for money. Capital campaigns and stewardship campaigns, do they land in 'earning money' spot or do they end up in the 'spending other peoples' money'? I can picture it going either way. I have known people who were very self contained about their finances and then really struggled to ask for help from others when they needed the help, and the help was available. 

In reply to Heather Petit

Re: money and leadership

by Charlotte Johnson -

Heather, I know that feeling all to well.  I can campaign, ask, beg, borrow and steal for others or causes that I believe in.  When it comes to me personally, I suffer alone until I figure it out or God decides to provide divine intervention.  My father who taught me to be independent, also said I had too much pride.