Reflections on Money and Leadership

Byrd Week 6

Byrd Week 6

by Michael Byrd -
Number of replies: 2

What is your earliest memory about money? As the oldest of four children I remember hearing these words from both my parents when I would want something, “what do you think money grows on trees?” My mom taught us kids that we needed to work to earn money to purchase things we need and want. I earned an allowance from the chores I did around the house. I learned that money goes fast when you want more than you have. My mom taught me the importance of saving for the things I wanted and that I would appreciate them more.  

What is the core message about money you learned while in your formative (7-15) years?) I had to work for the things I wanted. I understood what it meant to save for those specific needs. I understood what it meant to put together a budget.  If I didn’t have enough well last year’s glove was going to have to make it another year or until I saved enough to purchase a new one. I started to understand what the difference between a want and a need. (Thanks MomJ)

What do you think this will mean for you as a leader? As a leader before I make any purchases, many decisions need to be researched before a dime is spent. As an Associate Pastor in charge of benevolence fund I have put together a formal process to make sure I am being a good steward of the churches funds and assisting the needy in our local communities. Having a balanced budget is important for many reasons, one important reason is to resource more ministries for the growth of the church and for the people.

In reply to Michael Byrd

Re: Byrd Week 6

by Charlotte Johnson -

Mike, these are lessons well learned.  It seems that in present times these are not values being instilled in children, which means as adults they will be greatly disappointed when they are the ones that have to pay the bills.

In reply to Michael Byrd

Re: Byrd Week 6

by Celso Mesias -

The expression of your parents "What do you think money grows on trees?" was similar in my case too. Its meaning based in how to educate our relationship with money and spending was very important at my early years, and for my brothers too. Also, I would add the principle of honesty adopted as a lifestyle. One cent or any money founded on the floor was given immediately to mom, and her encouragement to save and invest was permanent (until now).

Living in sufficiency or prosperity as a family managing the money and spending, was the same. These lessons learned gave to me an essential base how to face my leadership individually and to others.

Thanks to you and your mom for the wise reminder in the discernment between a want and a need.