Reflections on Money and Leadership

Waters - Money

Waters - Money

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

1)  What is your earliest memory about money?

I remember saving change in a soup thermos to buy a new Star Wars action figure.  It was mostly pennies – I’m guessing my mom augmented my efforts to help me achieve my goal (for the curious, I was quite pleased to bring home the Hoth edition Luke Skywalker with cold weather gear).  I would have been about 6 years old.  Mom must have been cagey about how she helped – I remember feeling some sense of accomplishment for making a purchase with my own money.

2)  What is the core message about money you learned while in your formative (7-15) years?)

My family often struggled through periods of my father’s unemployment.  While we never went hungry, I do recall insurance cards being declined at the pharmacy.  I think the way I internalized these experiences is by developing a heightened concern for meeting obligations and avoiding sudden changes in my household.   As an adult, I would be embarrassed to have a bill collector call or to have a sheriff’s notice taped to my door.  Money, therefore, has become a resource to be mindfully managed and a resource to be preserved when possible. 

3)  What do you think this will mean for you as a leader?

From my employment experience, I know I tend to take a conservative approach to risk-taking.  However, I have taken significant risks – such as starting a business – after careful consideration and assessment.  In this way, my caution has been helpful.  My concern might be that I would overlook an opportunity because it feels unsafe compared to current circumstances. 

A benefit, though, is that I am careful with money (and other resources).  I understand and respect budgetary decisions both personally and professionally.  This kind of caution is typically appreciated by the people I lead, and especially by the people counting on my stewardship of resources. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Waters - Money

by Beth Eustis -

Matt, I would totally want you to the treasurer at my church! lol I like how you balance risk and caution, and think through things rather than just be all willy-nilly about it and let the chips fall where they may. I also like how you learned from what you saw your family go through and are vigilant about your own money. The only thing I wonder is, for a church, are there any downsides from too much caution?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Waters - Money

by Heather Petit -

I was thinking about the stewardship approach. There are some really useful features of that, especially around the long-term management. I've been in situations where the long term was neglected for a decade or two, and then oops, capital repairs needed and no capital. So that's important stuff. 

How would you connect that to the mission of the congregation? If the stewardship is for the sake of being careful with the money and not tending to the mission, then it can end up being stewardship for safety and not for action. Where I see this mindset being particularly powerful, though, is if you can tie the stewardship to the mission, so you don't end up with high-risk low-discipline mission people yanking at the doors.