Reflections on Money and Leadership

Mesias_Week 6

Mesias_Week 6

by Celso Mesias -
Number of replies: 2

1) What is your earliest memory about money?

My earliest memory about about money was when I had around 6 years old, living in Peru. It was almost Christmas day over, and my friends encouraged me that is not too late to ask and write to Santa for more Christmas gifts. Because I had only one, I tried, and I was waiting for more toys for more than a week, until my father said, don't expect more gifts from Santa, he was a little short in money this year, and my mother added, next year he will have more money for more gifts, but you have to be a better student and a better son. Economically, in those years we were a low middle class income family, where only my father has a full time job.

2) What is the core message about money you learned while in your formative (7-15) years?)

My family's core message about money came over from Dad and Mom. He instructed to me and my two brothers, the need to study and work hard, and she remarked (and still doing it) the importance to save and invest money. 

So, basically I learned from Dad that, I have to work hard for money. From Mom, the money can work hard for me. She was a wise right hand to Dad in finances, (real estate).

3) What do you think this will mean for you as a leader? 

This will mean highly valuable for me as a leader, because about money, in general it is a point to start how to use the money as a vehicle and not a the end. Something else that I have to add to these lessons, is the importance to learn how to live in faith depending from the favor of God as a provider, and how to be grateful to pay back and to be generous to others for wellness and prosperity.

In reply to Celso Mesias

Re: Mesias_Week 6

by Joseph Michael -

I find your story about Santa and your dad interesting. Do you think he was just trying to keep up the Santa story or was he using that as a buffer to not feel bad about not being able to buy a lot of presents?  Money challenges can create a lot of pressure as we can feel like our own worth is tied up in our ability to acquire money. I wonder how those issues could effect our leadership?

In reply to Celso Mesias

Re: Mesias_Week 6

by Zoe Dheedene -

I've always wondered whether Santa's list does our children any favors. Financial stability is absolutely outside the control of our children, but we still reinforce that "nice" children get a lot of presents while "naughty" children do not. But anyway... It sounds like your parents taught you great lessons regarding money. I think that "making money work hard for you" will be an especially valuable lesson in your leadership. I really, really appreciate your insight about approaching money as a vehicle to accomplish things and not the goal in and of itself. I know that many of the churches that I have attended would benefit from hearing a sermon on just that!