Reflections on Money and Leadership

Bracken : Week 6: Money and Leadership

Bracken : Week 6: Money and Leadership

by Deleted user -

1.) My earliest memory about money is the problems and arguments it caused between my biological mothers side of the family and my biological fathers side of the family. My Bio Mother's extended family is moderately wealthy and my Bio Dad's extended family is mostly in poverty. Therefore growing up, me and my siblings were always treated as outcasts at my Bio mom's family gatherings. We were treated as a charity case instead of like part of the family. My maternal grandmother hated my father and constantly put that side of the family to shame.

2.) I learned that money causes problems. But I also learned that money can not buy happiness. My Stepfather did very strict budgeting because he was raising me and my 5 siblings plus paying child support and had partially custody of his 3 biological children. I did watch a lot of what he did and learned how to cut some corners, clip coupons, and stretch a dollar as far as you can stretch it. 

3.) Because of what I watched with money growing up, I am not particularly concerned with material things, I am a very generous person and like to help others whenever I can. I also know how to stretch a dollar so I think I can bring an optimistic attitude as well as some budgeting tips to leadership. I can also help keep priorities in perspective since I do not get overly attached to material things.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Bracken : Week 6: Money and Leadership

by Michael Byrd -

Heidi

You have an amazing gift to be generous and yet have good discernment when it comes to giving. Resources such as budgeting and being positive are very important to those in need. I am in charge of benevolence at the church I Pastor and resources are so important but learning how to stretch that mighty dollar takes a gift of being a good steward of money and practicing it for others to understand is even more important.