Reflections on Money and Leadership

Eustis - Week 6

Eustis - Week 6

by Beth Eustis -

What is your earliest memory about money?

My earliest memory about money is that my mom handled the bill paying and gave my dad an allowance. I remember thinking this was unusual.

What is the core message about money you learned while in your formative years?

My family wasn't rich, but we always had enough, especially once my dad got a promotion. He never cared much about money as long as we had enough to be comfortable. I feel the same way.

What do you think this will mean for you as a leader?

I have a friend who belongs to a church where people are afraid of alienating a certain person because he contributes a large amount of money to the church. This person is difficult and opposes change in the church. As a leader of a church, I would want to trust in God that we will always have enough, even if it means losing a big benefactor because I see God taking us in a certain way that he/she does not agree with. I would hope to have the guts to risk that rather than kowtowing to such a person. The church belongs to God and not to us.

In reply to Beth Eustis

Re: Eustis - Week 6

by Deleted user -

I also had a situation in my church were the people who gave the most money though they could dictate what happened within the church, which eventually led to the ministers losing their jobs. It can be really difficult to stand up to people who use thier rescources to get what they want. 

In reply to Beth Eustis

Re: Eustis - Week 6

by Michael Byrd -

Beth, we had several people in our church who felt the same way that because they were big givers they believed they could steer the ship. God is in charge and by letting go God has blessed this church abundantly. After about a year the person returned and we were able to work things out and through good communication and leadership this has a happy ending.